Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Altamaha

Blue anodizing rubbing off of Saltiga too easily

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I went out today and made a couple of casts with the new Daiwa saltiga 40 I bought this week. I used my thumb on the left side of the spool lip to stop the spool when one cast was going too far out in the trees. I looked and saw that the blue anodizing rubbed off the side of the spool and was on my thumb. The blue color was removed and the silver is now showing on the spool lip. It seems that it is really easily rubbed off. My only other Daiwa is a 50HV and I have not encountered the same problem with it. Has anyone else had problems with the anodizing rubbing off too easily?

Edited to add a pic. Sorry about the quality.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjEuanBn.jpg

View PostI went out today and made a couple of casts with the new Daiwa saltiga 40 I bought this week. I used my thumb on the left side of the spool lip to stop the spool when one cast was going too far out in the trees. I looked and saw that the blue anodizing rubbed off the side of the spool and was on my thumb. The blue color was removed and the silver is now showing on the spool lip. It seems that it is really easily rubbed off. My only other Daiwa is a 50HV and I have not encountered the same problem with it. Has anyone else had problems with the anodizing rubbing off too easily?

Though not on a reel, I have seen "anodizing" that rubbed off.

To me it looked like a dye that was applied to the aluminum but not by the electro-chemical anodizing process. I don't think, properly speaking, it was anodizing.

The thickness of the coloring was so thin that it looked like it was the same as the thickness of a color applied by a magic marker--EXTREMELY thin.

I left some pieces of this supposedly anodized aluminum sheet metal exposed to summer sun and eventually the color ENTIRELY DISAPPEARED!

The color that disappeared was gold.

From what I understand based on an article, Anodizing is not the color. It is a thin layer of metal alloy that is made my changing the top layer of the aluminum into another type of metal through an electroplating type of method. The color does in fact come from a dye that is absorbed into the anodizing during a process where it is boiled in the dye solution.

I wouoldn't think that just because you bought it on clearence it would make any difference. Before that reel went on clearence they charged full price and the same thing would have happened. I would make some calls or send some emails.

I have 2 older Saltigas that have seen a lot of use and they're still fine. While that's strange, its probably only cosmetic and I wouldn't worry about it too much if I got that deal on the reel.

View PostWell I got the reel on clearence from BPS for $255 so I won't send it back because of the deal I got on it. I may call Daiwa and see what they say about it.

That is a heck of a deal. I don't remember seeing them that cheap at BPS. I wouldn't get too excited about the cosmetics as long as the reel functions. I have a Saltist 20 LD with the blue anodizing. I will let you know if I have an issue when it gets some use this April.

Well I just got off the phone with customer service rep at Daiwa. They said that I would have to send the reel in to them and they would determine if the spool needs to be replaced. I will wait and see if it gets any worse because I don't want to eat the shipping costs to them when I don't even know if they will replace the spool. BTW Daiwa sells a new saltiga 40 spool for $74. If it does not get any worse I guess it will add to the "character" of this reel.

View PostWell I just got off the phone with customer service rep at Daiwa. They said that I would have to send the reel in to them and they would determine if the spool needs to be replaced. I will wait and see if it gets any worse because I don't want to eat the shipping costs to them when I don't even know if they will replace the spool. BTW Daiwa sells a new saltiga 40 spool for $74. If it does not get any worse I guess it will add to the "character" of this reel.

I would do the same, and I'm very picky, though not as much as I used to be.

Update:

I was not satisfied with my conversation I had on the phone with Daiwa. I sent an email explaining what happened and photo of my spool. A short time later I received this response:

Hi

What you need to do is to send the spool in to our service department. We

will most likely replace your spool. The blue on the spool should not come

off like that. You can send the spool to my attention at

Daiwa Corporation

12851 Midway Place

Cerritos Ca 90703

Attn Toby Baar

If you have any questions you can contact customer service toll free at

800-736-4653.

Thank You

Toby Baar

Customer service

I sent the spool back to Daiwa today and I will see if they replace it.

View Post They said that I would have to send the reel in to them and they would determine if the spool needs to be replaced. I will wait and see if it gets any worse because I don't want to eat the shipping costs to them when I don't even know if they will replace the spool.

You got the reel for ~1/2 off and you don't want to spend $10 on shipping?