Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardcore

Striper a carp?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I was watching some fishing show Mike Ikonely catches a striper. The guy fishing with him says that no bass that a "Carp with a tuxedo". *** !!!! this clown must be joking right ? I would never disrespect a striper by calling it a carp. I guess the mind set is different when you are sweet water guy.

The striper is given little respect in the world of largemouth bass fishing, since it is not one of the fish allowed to be weighed in a tournament. Funny thing is a striper is actually a true member of the bass family, whereas largemouth (and smallmouth) are not. They are actually perch.

It caught me by surprise because they where fishing a river in San Antonio. At first I thought Hybrid but this was definately not hybrid it was long and the mouth was just like ours here in the east coast. I know hybrids are rounder and their mouth is also smaller. Mike actually put the striper in the live well for "bragging rights".

As far as fight which many guys will tell you "thats what it's all about" a striper and carp of about the same size are gonna give you a similar fight.

Personally, I think it's more about fooling a fish to bite and then enjoying the fight. In that regard the stripers is the much better quarry of the 2.

John

View PostI think a carp would probably out-fight a striper any day.

i think it's all about equipment. people always refer to fight, that's why i always try to go as small as possible. i have caught a carp fishing for sunnies once and it was FUN! it seems like they do fight harder than a striper tho and they also seem harder to catch lol

View Post

Personally, I think it's more about fooling a fish to bite and then enjoying the fight. In that regard the stripers is the much better quarry of the 2.

John

Depends how pressured they are. In the UK they are one of the hardest fish to catch in either fresh of salt water. I was big into carp fishing most of my teen years and believe me when I tell you they can be EXTREMELY spooky. People talk about bone fish being spooky but English carp are so pressured they can be unbelievably hard to fool. Iv watched carp in clear water from an over hanging tree. Two or three were working a small bed of bait a buddy had put down to see if they would come in and feed. i watched them work the bait and them one of them picked up my buddys hook bait. In about two seconds the fish spit the offering out and all three of them bolted. It was crazy. It was a static hook bait. Had been sitting there for a good half and hour while I was in the tree before the fished moved in (the things you do to learn about your quary).

View PostThe striper is given little respect in the world of largemouth bass fishing, since it is not one of the fish allowed to be weighed in a tournament. Funny thing is a striper is actually a true member of the bass family, whereas largemouth (and smallmouth) are not. They are actually perch.

Incorrect, a sunfish, even worse,biggrin.gif

Mike Iconelli like him or not,the guy can fish.Besides holding his own with the

best out there on the tournament circuit,I saw a series on TV last year called

'City Limits',where each show he fishes a differrent downtown water.

He manages to scrape up a few fish from waters full of trash,ditches,pollution,etc.

No practice days,no charts,electronics not to useful,he really reads the water,

I was really impressed.Cannot say the same for his break dancing.

I wouldn't consider referring to any game fish as a carp to be an insult. I'll take a striper or a even the "lowly" carp over a black bass any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I guess if I was trying to win tournaments I might feel differently.

View PostI think a carp would probably out-fight a striper any day.

without a doubt!

View PostMike Iconelli like him or not,the guy can fish.Besides holding his own with the

best out there on the tournament circuit,I saw a series on TV last year called

'City Limits',where each show he fishes a differrent downtown water.

He manages to scrape up a few fish from waters full of trash,ditches,pollution,etc.

No practice days,no charts,electronics not to useful,he really reads the water,

I was really impressed.Cannot say the same for his break dancing.

That boy is seriously hyper! cwm31.gif