Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frank Mihalic

Old ABU 5000 question

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Just got a flat side plate red 5000. When I got to the side plate with the push button, there was all metal double dog leg mechanism with 3 springs for spool release.

Also drag has only 1 washer inside of the gear, and the smaller washer under the gear.

Is there any way to upgrade this oldie to modern technology?

Thanks.

Hi. The short answer is no. The long answer is partially, if you are up for opening all the schematics from year 1969 to the start of the ultracast series of reels in the 80's, usually, after year 1985. And stopping at the beginning of the palming set of reels. I think this was 82 or 83, I cannot recall.

If you change spools, to a "C" model, you can add bearings from bushings. If you look at main gears, and pinion setups, you can go from 3.8 to 4.7. And some main gears are set up to take slightly larger drag washers.

Be sure and check your frame, with the sideplates removed, for racking.

Many of the older reels with miles and miles on them have loose frames that twist and turn like wringing out a towel. Gently twist the frame one way then the other to check.

Hio....actually, if you supertune, clean, and add fresh drag washers, you will be pretty OK for what the reel was intended for: fresh water fishing for specie to about 10 pounds. with a larger interloper now and then. As long as core parts are not worn to a frazzle: line guide shroud, worm, pawl, etc.

The gearset in the older reels was pretty much bomb-proof. Steel main, and steel pinion.

You can do a lot of upgrades to that reel. First you mentioned the drag, depending on the specific gear in the 5000 you have there are a few options to create a bigger surface area using HT-100 and/or Carbontex drag discs and metal washers. Second change I would make would be to remove the spool bushings and replace with bearings. Standard bearings will not fit and you will have to mill down the ends of the spool shaft. If you do not want to or can not mill down the spool shaft you can do what was mentioned in one of the above post. That is to replace the spool and both gears with those from a 5000C or a 5500C. Third, you could upgrade the levelwind system with bearing on the worm gear and cog gear and also add a ceramic pawl. Fourth you can replace the bushing in the driveshaft with a bearing and bearing washers but you will have to play around with the spacing on the drive shaft by milling the star drag and/or using drag shims. I have quite a few 5000/5500 and 6000/6500 that I have performed the above upgrades on. I prefer these older upgraded models to the newer reels now available. I do not have part numbers with me right now for the parts but if you would like I can see if I can dig them up for you.

John

Yes, Fishizzle, you are right. Those are all possible.

I suspect my sin was that of omission, based on the law of diminishing returns...all those mods will not be cheap installs on a first generation 5000, available on Ebay for about 35.00 or less, so I left them off the list.

As listed, and at retail, no tax, no shipping, the parts you can upgrade with come to 138.00 US money. some savings may be had in the bearing department, and drag, but the rest are Abu parts. Except the pawl.

I can add the part numbers, if anyone wants them. Or: open the 1983 model of the "C", the 99-02 model of the C, the Mag X, and the Record, and jot down the numbers.

spool bearings 2 x 8: 16.00

drag upgrade: 5.00

"C" spool: 28.00

different gearset: 16.00

ball brg worm: 9.00

worm with bb other end: 14.00

titanium line guide: 9.00

driveshaft bearing: 13.00

driveshaft brg washer: 3.00

idler gear: 4.00

idler gear bearing: 11.00

ceramic pawl: 10.00

There's a 5500CS International Pro Rocket out there in the USA for about 120.00, with which one could delete some of the options above because they are already onboard the reel.

I'm with Ken on this one. The 5000 is a great little reel for freshwater and light saltwater with regular cleanings. I just got a 6501 into the shop with the old dog AR system, and the only thing it seems to be missing is the instant AR of the newer reels. As far as the drag goes, you're not missing out with much. Possibly some pressure in the high end of the drag range.

Open it up, clear out old grease and look for any excessive wear on the internals. Relube, close it up and go fishing.

Evan

View PostI'm with Ken on this one. The 5000 is a great little reel for freshwater and light saltwater with regular cleanings. I just got a 6501 into the shop with the old dog AR system, and the only thing it seems to be missing is the instant AR of the newer reels. As far as the drag goes, you're not missing out with much. Possibly some pressure in the high end of the drag range.

Open it up, clear out old grease and look for any excessive wear on the internals. Relube, close it up and go fishing.

Evan

The most important thing it is missing is the plastic and the inferior metals used in the newer reels.

Those older reels will last much longer than the newer reels. By doing the upgrades I mentioned you will have a reel that will be smoother and last longer than any of the newer models. It is true it may cost a little bit to do (for most people but I have accounts with all of the major reel manufacturers so for me it is not that big of a deal). When completed you will end up with a reel that is unique, can handle saltwater inshore species very well, cast very well and be as smooth as butter.

John

My favourite reel for Barramundi (a strong fighting fish) is the old Ambassadeur 5000 and the only upgrade I have is the Carbontex drag washer (obtained from Jerry@hookless). Despite it having bushings it is a good caster. Have caught a few 20+ pound fish with this reel.

John's metallurgy point is sound. After various internals are looked after,

to the degree the rodster wants to go,

*THE* best thing for these old girls is a frame upgrade. Abu still has the __brass__ frame, chromed, in the parts stream.

This frame was used for the "C" models. The 5000 red plain, the A, and the B use an _aluminum_ frame, anodized red. Part number 8719, for about 24 USD, plus any/all adds for your trading area.