Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BT Bob

Metal Lip Differences

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

It seems like most plug builders all use the same (or very similar) "Z" shaped metal lip on their Danny plugs (bottom plug). However, I have plugs made by one of the older, pioneer plug makers that use more of a "spoon" shape lip (top plug). IMO, the latter have a superior, struggling bunker, surface action and have caught some large (30+) bass for me.

My question is, are there any modern day plug builders that use this lip style? And if not, why not?

Thanks,

Bob

i think the simple answer is that the z lip is easily available, the lip like that (hahn?) is custom made and having a die made for stamping those out isnt cheap. Ive seen plenty of swimmers with different style lips but they were mostly one-offs and those lips were cut by hand which is a major pain in the a. Hope that helps :-}

That top lip and I would have to assume it is a Bob Hahn is more like a surfster lip and therefore one gets that stuggling top of the water column action.

The bottom "newer" Z lip has more felxibilty and has the ability to be used to get down deeper in the water column. One would see that on everything from a surface style danny to a deeper running forty or even a cowboy. Its flexibility comes from either the plug builder or the plug user being to adjust this lower angle of the lip to suite their respective needs.

There are builders that do use the top style lip but again that lip can really only do the upper mosr area of the water column.

The cupped lip made popular by builder Bob Hahn is no more than a bent spinner blade, cheap/easy to obtain, copys the action of the original CCBC Surfster. The greatest in calm waters but causes plugs to roll in current. The Z lip (CCBC Pikie,Musso,Danny) runs true even in the strongest running water. Each has its place.

Interesting responses. Even though there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

View Post

There are builders that do use the top style lip but again that lip can really only do the upper mosr area of the water column.

fishinthedark,

Can you name or have pics of some other builders that use that lip?

View Postyes you can use spinner blades as lips but the one in the pic is not a spinner blade, look how far back the metal goes into the slot, thats custom made

thats just how much Hahn cut into the plug body. I've rewired many a early Hahn due to his pore choice of wire, cut one apart, you'll see what I mean.

View PostInteresting responses. Even though there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

fishinthedark,

Can you name or have pics of some other builders that use that lip?

Google salty bugger lures and look both at his lures and his kits, have done some of his kits, they have that dimpled sursfter lip.

Look for his 1.5 oz trouble maker lure, gives you a great view of both the flat angle and the cupped lip

Have a look at this as well

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=706689

Although not as cupped as some others the angle is flat

I have a couple of Big Rock's plugs that surfster lip

Hope that helps ??

He does both, look at his lure kits.

Point is that is a surfster lip will only do the top

Hahn might have called his a danny but you won't get deep with that plug,

I know I owe a couple of them

z lips can do the top but most importantly they can also get deep,

you never get deeper than 1ft 1.5 with that top lip,

Again my .02 do what you will with it wink.gif

Have a look

Big Rock Surfster

Big Rock Swimmer (z lip)

Salty Bugger Surfster

Salty Bugger Swimmer (z lip)

Bb Hahn "small" Danny

Trouble maker made both as well.

His stuff is out of production and way too expensive for me.