Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThatGuyDownTheStreet

Finally got a set-up, but having trouble with the leader...

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I finally got a set-up, and have ben casting for hours. Its a Ross Essence FS 9' 5wt rod and a Ross Flystart 2 reel, loaded with floating 5wt line and backing. Only $75 out of pocket because I had a $75 gift card to the local fly shop.

I got a quick lesson fron the owner of the shop, and looked up numerous casting videos on YouTube. My casts arent all that bad to my unexperienced eye, but I'm having one problem: The leader twists over time and eventually tangles pretty bad. I've already spent a half hour of my like undoing two tangles, and its not that fun.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

OK here is your first indication that maybe your casts are not as good as you think they are. One lesson from the shop lowner is only a start. If you continue to self teach you will groove in all that is bad in fly casting in a very short space of time . a month will probably do it for you. It will take a great deal of time to unlearn all the bad stuff. So do yourself a huge favour and go get vey quickly some pro casting lessons. Best investment you can ever make at the front end of your new found adventure. Very average casters rarely make it to average Fishers even. It is not everything but if you can't get your fly to the fish without scaring it to death you are not going to catch much or have a great deal of fun either.

Ok rather than muck up expensive shop leaders whilst you learn why not just tie on a 8 or 9 feet length of 6lb mono with a size 14 wet fly tied on the end with the point snipped off. At first getting a dead staright leader is the least of your concerns.

Heh this is fun go out and enjoy as you will pretty quickly.

Mike

View PostDo you have a fly on the end of the leader? How heavy is the tippet? What is the fly?

That was my 1st thought. You can tie on a piece of yarn, a pipe cleaner works well also. You don't reallty need a fly to pratice. Start Slow! You don't want to try & cast the whole lengh of line on one cast. Try to get the feel of the rod. Go back & forth holding the line in the air. Be relaxed,don't fight it or try to muscle your casts. And most of all don't get frustrated. Lessons are good but can be pricey. See if there is a club in your area where you can go & meet other fly fishers. Most clubs have a few guys that really know how to cast & will be willing to teach you or at least give you some pointers.

Welcome to another world of fishing. Also watch what goes on behind you with the line. Wait for the line to straighen out & the rod loads before coming forward. It will all come to you in time. Good Luck..........Ron

Im not exactly sure what size the tippet is, but I do have some 4# mono I'll use instead to save money while learning. The fly is just a piece of fabric, but earlier I was using just some bucktail I tied onto a small hook with the bend cut off.

I would start some casting lessons, but I'm just some kid in high school without much money.

Thanks for the help so far!

For practice I would use a rather heavy tippet - 8-10 lb. mono is fine. Find out how to tie a blood knot so you can replace the tippet.

Keep in mind, just for practice you can leave off the leader entirely. Cast only the line.

Some things you tie on the end will spin through the air like a propeller and twist your line. Pay attention to that as well.

Look around on the internet for local fly fishing clubs or trout unlimited chapters. They might offer free casting lessons.

Good luck!

Kross,

Not a good idea to cast just the fly line, especially a begginer who is likely to crack the line like a whip due to bad timing. IE start forward part of the cast too soon. Even great casters would be advised to tie on a section of leader material if damage to the fly line end is to be avoided when practice casting.

Mike

Mike,

I've seen that whip crack occur when using a leader without a fly, but never with just the line. Maybe my timing is just too good!

TGDTS,

Ideally you would use a short leader and a small piece of yarn for practice. But if the leader is continually tangling on you, trust me, just cut it off. Once you get a bit better, add back the leader and fly or yarn.

If you actually damage the fly line that way, just shoot me a PM and I'll send you another one to play with. 5 weight, right?

Anyway, enjoy!

i learned kinda the same. here's a few pointers i picked up when the same things were happening although you just need someone who knows what they're doing to watch you

1. sit with the bottom half of the rod while you watch videos and practice the motion

2. find a local who can work with you come warm weather

3. if you're practicing alone, take your time, make sure the line is unfolding on the forward and back casts.

4. try as you might, you won't master the cast on your own smile.gif

5. i know some say you shouldn't practice near water, but do it. i ruined my first line dragging it through the grass, just don't expect to catch fish

6. shorter leader. i was told to start with a 8 foot leader lol, boy did that suck!

good luck and keep watching those videos

After watching a good half hour of youtube casting videos, I went out and casted again, leader and all. I had some decent tight loops, and less leader twist. I only spent about 10 minutes casting (cant spend too long when its only 20 out cwm31.gif) and came back and read replies. Regarding Hunt for Blues' comment about starting with an 8' leader, I only learned just now that using the 9' leader it came with probably wasn't a good idea redface.gif.

I would hoin a club and go to every meeting and all, but I can only get my drivers license in the fall, so it'll have to wait.

Thanks again for the help, guys!

View Post

I would hoin a club and go to every meeting and all, but I can only get my drivers license in the fall, so it'll have to wait.

Thanks again for the help, guys!

Hi TGDTS,

Don't you have buses that can get you there. If so worth the aggro of public transport to go to a fishing club.

Mike

View PostWhere I like, I would need to get a ride somewhere just to find a bus. cwm13.gif

I have switched to a 4 1/2 foot 4lb mono leader, and have had no problems yet. icon14.gif

that's perfect. are you tying your knots too? how'd you connect your leader to your fly line smile.gif