Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Every one talks

26 posts in this topic

about all the new plug builders around and we have many of the old builders that in some cases seem to get forgotton.

Floyd Roman

Frank Woolner { Canton Mass and Worcestor]

Bill Nolan [Norwell, Mass]

Paul Boyden [Mansfield,Ma]

David Curtin {East Weymouth, Ma]

Jerry Sylvestor

Tony Stetzko Senior

My good friend Stan Kuzia [bourne Mass] One name every one that fishes the canal should remember as he was a confidant of the early plug builders from Bob Pond to Stan Gibbs

Then we have old numbers 2,23,63,474, from MBBA.INc.

Just to mention a few that in some cases, some perhaps may have never heard about.

I wonder what a Wooler plug may be worth in todays collectable market??

or for that matter a Tony Stetzko senior?

any one

I never knew Frank Woolner made plugs? Very interesting.icon14.gif I met him a few times, and have an autographed copy of his book on grouse hunting he gave me when I was a kid.

thank you angler #1,

i have been trying to put a list together on the oldtime plug builders from mass, going back to the 1940s. i just added a couple of new names,

the list is for my own use, just some notes in my plugmaking notebook,

i'm obsessed with the history of plug making and cant get enough info to satisfy my addiction.

thanks again

kevin

Cap'n Bills, Charlie Murat, Soco, Point Jude, Norris, Blue Streak, Emmerson and Rurhen, to name a few other New England builders. It would be excellent to know more about the history of these early plugs and builders.

Spend some time in the plug builders forums Carl.....(here and over there)....you will see they are far from forgotten! Many builders spend the winter replicating their fine plugs which is a testament to their work! I am currently on a Floyd Roman bender and am working on some Nike's! Don't ever fool yourself into thinking those old timers don't get their due!wink.gif

it goes with out saying that many of the present day plug builders respect the old plug builders of old , I was speaking about those outside of that association so that we are all clear. I have severel young friends who have made countless copies off many different old time builders over the years as a contiunued memorial to the builders of old that still share the enjoyement of catching a nice fish on something they made.

Now as to Brother Frank, when I had the chance to fish with along severel of the down town beaches, he was living in Cantonbiggrin.gif

His home town of Shrewsbury is close to Worcesterhighfive.gif My Bad he was on the borderclapping.gif

I would like to think that !

Everytime,

a plug is built by builder or hobbiest or just a a kid painting and making a plug with his or her dad. The old timers are remembered.

Everytime,

a plug is thrown into the water and swims or dives,wiggles and rolls The old timers are remembered.

Everytime,

a fish is caught by a plug or the excitement of a explosion behind your plug a Old timer is remembered.

Evertime,

there is a smile on young and old peoples faces from catching a fish on a plug The old timers are remembered.

Tight Lines

Modern Tecnology ,, newer is better ,, "NOT" ,,. I wish I had access to some old growth forest to build plugs .. nice tight growth rings .. not the wide band ,pulpy wood we have available .. Lead heals all wounds .. Only way young will know is if they visit these forums .. Thanks to the collectors for preserving past .. We need a Saltwater book ... Would love to see a few of you guys collaborate and come out with a book ..

preserving the past has been a hand me down from one generation to another by word of mouth. This is how the native Indians still do old history about the past. I agrre however that with all the modern tools available today it would be a nice thing to record, but it would be a great undertaking to accomplish. Only because of in some cases inaccurate accountings of who made what before they were copied.

View PostModern Tecnology ,, newer is better ,, "NOT" ,,. I wish I had access to some old growth forest to build plugs .. nice tight growth rings .. not the wide band ,pulpy wood we have available .. Lead heals all wounds .. Only way young will know is if they visit these forums .. Thanks to the collectors for preserving past .. We need a Saltwater book ... Would love to see a few of you guys collaborate and come out with a book ..

eddy you may just have come up with an idea for the future i think it would be lots of fun to do a historyof plug builders old to new, from the days of stan all the way to the days of now it be a big book with lots of great photos, and stories, maybe something to work on in the future i think that thers enough of us to buy it that it may actually be worth putting together