Has anyone here succesfully landed a fish that was not actually hooked?

Rate this topic

albacized

used to drift eels at the mouths of creeks down tuckerton way. best tactic for me was to get into the mouth as much as i could and drift them out into the deeper water. 1 time at a creek in marshelder channel i had a bass latch onto my eel in @ 2 feet of water. he wasn't hooked but held on long enough to be netted. it all happened in a matter of seconds i had to let him go. crazy!

I had a fluke to the boat this summer that wasnt hooked...he let go as I went to scoop him up.

I had a Largemouth bass grab a sunfish and hold onto it as I reeled it to the dock...it was only 5 or 6 feet away when it grabbed it. Let go at the dock.

I caught a line with a fish on it at Parvins. Hooked the lure that was foul hooked on it.

Tim Jr from Blackwater Sportscenter here in S.Jersey hooked a burlap sack with a bunch of keeper fluke in it. Obviously came undone from someones boat. They were all still alive.

We used to catch ling cod out of Monterey that would take a small rockfish that was hooked. They could spit it out anytime but normally didn't. The trick was to not horse the fish in before getting to the gaff.

In Mazatlan and the East Cape of Baja we used to troll for marlin and sailfish using plugs with no hook. They would replace the hook with a length of nylon rope. The billfish would tangle themselves on the hook. As I recall, the bills were a little rough. I understand that has been made illegal because some fish would break the fishing line but would not be able to get the nylon rope off their bill (which would sometimes also wrap their mouths closed).