Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Has anyone here succesfully landed a fish that was not actually hooked?

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

I've heard stories (but never witnessed) of landing bluefish on hookless lures. Anyone else do this?

I can say that twice, I've landed tail wrapped albies where the lure actually came loose and the fish were lassoed and not hooked when landed, one time landing a speckled trout in Florida where I snagged another line with a fish on it, apparently (obviously) after another angler broke the fish off...and lastly, I last year, I caught a rainbow trout here in MA in basically the same way that I caught the speckled trout.

I have seen on TV (I forget what show) But they took the hooks off there plugs. They never landed a fish (on the boat) but it more like a game to see who could get the fish closer to the boat before the plug was spit.

View PostMangrove snapper many times

That reminds me of a time in the Keys a number of years ago, where I had hooked a mangrove snapper and a barracuda came and bit it...the cuda stayed latched onto the fish all the way to the shoreline despite not having the hooked part of the snapper in it's mouth...it did let go at the last minute though.

Twice with stripers. One on a Bomber and one on a Needle. Both times the fish had the plug wedged sideways in his mouth but there were no hooks embedded in flesh.

Have had lots of blues to my feet when throwing pencils with no hooks just for the fun of it.smile.gif

I pulled the hooks off a plug to play with the bluefish in the kayak last summer. Got the fish right to the side of the kayak before he let the plug go.

we were all out fishing li with my dad he loves porgie fishing while fishing my brother catches a porgy an it begins to get heavy too heavy a 33in striper comes in with a jumbo porgie wedged in its mouth i wouldnt believe it if i wasnt their

View PostTwice with stripers. One on a Bomber and one on a Needle. Both times the fish had the plug wedged sideways in his mouth but there were no hooks embedded in flesh.

.smile.gif

I was casting a brand new 7" red fin in the surf by little m when I got a hit. Several minuets later when I went to land what is still my PB (37) I was surprised to not see any of the plug showing. Yes an inspection showed that the plug was cross ways with no hook points embedded.

Peace

Striper fishing down by SeaBright, I get a "Hit" and fish on!! Im reeling this striper in, i beach it to see that i didnt hook the fish, my hook was in the swivel of another rig that was in the striper..>))>

I'll try and locate the pictures but my friend and I were fishing livies in Raritan Bay, bluefish bit and fought to the boat where it got the gaff and came aboard. Even after being gaffed it wouldn;t drop the bunker, but it was never hooked.