Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cow tamer

The Eyes Have It (or not)

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Do eyes on a lure make it a better fish attractor or can they make a lure look more fake? For example, a danny with eyes or blind. A danny with eyes can look more like a baitfish, but then again, it can give away the fact that it's not.

I really don't know how much of a differance eyes make ,,, Fisherman like eyes .. Alot of times I'm too lazy to do eyes on my plugs .. still catch .. I figure Beachmaster plugs made a name no eyes ..I think the fish likes the movement or the lack of and instinctively hits before making "eye" contact ..

I don't think the eyes are extremely important, but I also feel they don't hurt the plugs effectiveness. We all know that a bass wants to strike its prey head first, so the eyes may give him the target that you want. Probably on a fast moving plug or one in turbulant or heavily stained or churned up water it will not matter, but one in clear water on a very slow retrieve or one just hanging in the current, I'll take the eyes anytime.

I think the proper colored eye can give a lure contrast up by the head,or tail as some pencil poppers are made,for a predator fish to key in on.

Though I also think that eyes are of no value on surface swimming plugs,but may provide an edge on subsurface lures,where they can be seen.

This is just a general opinion based on some articles and documentaries I've seen in the past ( and of course including some angling experience to boot).

Predatory animals who swallow their prey whole, will swallow them head first. Why head you ask? Because the horns/spines or fur/scales have them rested in a direction to which they become aero/hydro dynamic. Having them protrude forward the direction they run or swim will create drag. By swallowing their prey this way, they avoid these primary defensive systems from rubbing against or puncturing their digestive tract.

An anaconda swallows a caiman head first. A barn owl who eat rats does the same. A fish of course does the same. In nature, they learn from experience (trial and error). We all know older fish grow bigger not because they are just plain lucky, but because they survived years of trials and has made them efficient hunters/predators.

The signs/signals with which a predator would know which side of its prey to swallow are basic and they remember these either from instinct or from experience (nobody knows really). With regards to a fish, the only sign visible by sight and feel (lateral line) which dictates which side the head is, is the end that moves forward. The eyes are secondary unless of course if you think like a fish, you'd instantly know which side the head is. That's how lures catch anglers first.

An angler first needs to be confident with a lure before he can catch fish with it or be successful in using it for that matter. If adding eyes makes an angler believe and be more confident with a lure, then by all means, do it, have fun and pass it around.

All my lures I can put eyes on got eyes and they look really nice. white, red, pink and blue biggrin.gif

Lure eyes....

If the predatory fish we target were that detail oriented, I think the big metal lip on the front of the lure would turn them off long before some silly little eye turned them on to strike.

Eyes catch fishermen not fish...

Predators, all of them not just fish, zone in on the weak, the odd ball and the ones that stand out. If they were so inclined, I think a blind baitfish would be considered an easy mark to them.

If you ask me (I know no one did tongue.gif) eyes, through wire and fancy paint are all a waste of time and money. Give me a simple lure with a solid color and as little terminal tackle as possible.

When fishing diamond jigs I like to put a large round piece of plastic electrical tape on each side of the lure near the rear . I figure the diamond jig simulates a squid, and one of the main features of a squid is the large eyes. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but it makes sense to me.

It's eyes for me,I even put them on sluggos.

I believe that eyes serve as one of the secondary stage attractants,once the predator has come for a closer look.

Some species of baitfish have developed over time spots on or near the tail.

This is to fool a predator into thinking it is an eye, and giving the baitfish a split second more to escape if the predator hits the tail.Some luremakers

incorporate this in their paint jobs.