Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CCSteveL

Bonefish on a working mans reel...

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Watching ESPN this A.M., guy chasing bones with an Orvis large arbor... Reading posts in this forum youd think it was impossible to fish in the salt with less than a $800-$1000 reel.....Nice to see a $250 reel being fished.

I agree. Heck, even $250 is a fair piece of change. When I was starting out I caught a lot of bonefish on a Cortland LTD Graphite reel. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it could not have been more than $75. Never a problem. I just gave it away to someone last year. They are still fishing it.

If the drag is halfway smooth, any reel will do for bonefish.

View PostWatching ESPN this A.M., guy chasing bones with an Orvis large arbor... Reading posts in this forum youd think it was impossible to fish in the salt with less than a $800-$1000 reel.....Nice to see a $250 reel being fished.

Yeah, those 3lb bonefish were really something. confused.gif

Batman casts like a girl.

View PostLooks like they have multiple shows. I will try to catch it.

Who the heck is Batman?

If I'm accurate with my last post, then they are referring to Michael Keaton, who played 'Batman' in one of the Batman movies....In an earlier thread about this show (from several weeks ago), I referred to him as 'Mr Mom' because of his role in that movie.

But in case you're not sure who that is, Michael Keaton is an comedy actor who was featured on a flyfishing show from Abacos several weeks ago....and it looks like that episode was repeated yesterday

Got it!

Can't expect those superstars to cast like lefty. From the trailer, the show seems to have a good conservation message. They mentioned Tom McGuane, which is neat. I will definitely have to watch it.

View PostBut in case you're not sure who that is, Michael Keaton is an comedy actor who was featured on a flyfishing show from Abacos several weeks ago....and it looks like that episode was repeated yesterday

The series focuses on one group of anglers over a span of I think a couple of weeks. The show is heavily focused on the conservation aspect of fishing which I think is good. As for the fishing itself,well its bahamas bonefishing, there is a reason they didnt base one out of the Keyswink.gif .

CCstevel,

So much BS is talked about the need for high end, high perfomance gear. Mostly I fear by Guys who have been reading too much in makers catalogues and reading stuff written by Angling journalists many who can't fish for toffee.

It is very nice to have Tibors and the like for Bonefish but honestly just not necessary to get the job done. Practically any fly reel that turns, even if it only has a click and pawl trout type of spool control will do it ok.

Ok I would prefer of course to fish with nice gear and do but for most inshore species it is not required. I have yet to hook a Striper that required a decent drag on my reel. I will qualify that by adding my largest fly caught Striper is only around 15 lbs.

It is amazing or is it that fairly simple reels will do a good and competant enough job.

Mike