Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kamel

Ice Fishing 1/9/10

11 posts in this topic

I met up with a friend of mine and his father and fished Lake Dunmore in Salisbury, VT yesterday. He had his shanty out and we were running 8 tip ups with shiners. There is quite a wide variety of fish that can be caught through the ice on Dunmore from Rainbows, Salmon, Northern Pike, Perch and SMB's. We were targeting Northern's where we were set up. We had a few flags with nobody home and one Chris got a good hook set on, a big pull from the fish, followed with a knot failure. He was quite disappointed as he had spent the previous evening rerigging all his gear. It was quite windy and cold so it was nice having the shanty to hang out in, eat some venison and stay out of the wind.

The northern section of the lake is closed to fishing until next weekend and as it is wider and deeper it didn't lock up until earlier this week. Unfortunately, while we were fishing, another fisherman approached us and informed us six people went through the ice on snowmachines in the northern section. Three of the six didn't make it. The father 50, his daughter 24, and grandson 3. The wife, 6 year old and 4 year old made it.

I didn't realize until I got home later in the day I know members of this family. I worked with the fathers brother for many years and know his uncle very well. The whole family is in my prayers at this time.

Please exercise caution if you decide to go out on the ice. This should not have happened.

frown.gif thats a damn shame. i hate seeing stuff like that, especially the 3 yo kid who had no choice in going out there. i cant believe the lakes arent entirely locked up there. gotta be careful out there, scary $hit.

View PostSounds like time for another trip up to Monkton

Any time you're in my area shoot me a PM. Still waiting to fish with a SOL'er (other than Starship, practically my neighbor) in my home waters.

Very sorry to hear about their and your loss. I also read about it and saw the news such a terrible accident. We all need to be vigilant when going out onto the ice.

I was able to hit the ice with two friends this past week up here in MA. Fished up in Essex County and had anywhere from 5-8" of ice on the pond. We got 7 fish total 2 LMB, 4 Yellow Perch and one pickerel. Bass were just under 3 lbs. Overall a nice day out on the ice. We planned to hit the ice Sat/Sun but, ended up just going Thursday due to the extreme cold temperatures up this way.

Tight Lines!

Attached is a picture of my biggest through the ice from last year, just over 4lbs. I think the best part of this picture might be the two other guys both landing fish in the background! biggrin.gif

View PostVery sorry to hear about their and your loss. I also read about it and saw the news such a terrible accident. We all need to be vigilant when going out onto the ice.

I was able to hit the ice with two friends this past week up here in MA. Fished up in Essex County and had anywhere from 5-8" of ice on the pond. We got 7 fish total 2 LMB, 4 Yellow Perch and one pickerel. Bass were just under 3 lbs. Overall a nice day out on the ice. We planned to hit the ice Sat/Sun but, ended up just going Thursday due to the extreme cold temperatures up this way.

Tight Lines!

Attached is a picture of my biggest through the ice from last year, just over 4lbs. I think the best part of this picture might be the two other guys both landing fish in the background! biggrin.gif

Nice fishwink.gif