Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigflies

squimpish flies

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

David, i have been on your wedsite for some time now. i have gone through each and every picture in the gallery and put together a recipe for each in my head. i am trying to master the technique of tying squimpish flies. any real specific tips or ways to make the flies turn out the way you make them?

1/8 of good mushrooms and 2 bottles of good red wine biggrin.gif

on a serious note id guess lots of practice and of coarse finding all the materials dave uses aint cheap or easy for that matter,

then lots of practice and sleepless nights

Hi BF..thanks for the homage...its flattering to say the least

Re-Tips

Its hard to get specific with the general nature of your question but a few things I try to focus on are as follows (whether I am tying size 22's or 4/0)

Thread control..prior to wrapping the next material, unwrap a few turns..keep it lite and neat...no wide wrap..1 inch of thread out of bobbin

Material selection...prior to tying have your materials out and ready like mise en place for a chef (google it).....the final product of my patterns are often dictated by size and shape of materials...i.e. you cant tie a proper # 16 spinner with size 22 hackle.....short bucktail/feathers/body hackle is used for short flies...and i try not to waste primo leanth material unless I am tying large flies...feathers with curves should be utilized in a way that complements the curve...try not to force materials into a pattern but let the pattern come from them

Water sets fly's shape tied with natural materials..wet and hang upside down

Relax have a drink or 4 (shrooms are from a past life prior to children) enjoy and pay attention to the myraid of amazing talents on this board

if you have speific technique questions PM me and I will do my best to answer

all the best

David

View Post

Thread control..prior to wrapping the next material, unwrap a few turns..keep it lite and neat...no wide wrap..1 inch of thread out of bobbin

Great tip!

View Post

Material selection...feathers with curves should be utilized in a way that complements the curve...try not to force materials into a pattern but let the pattern come from them

Yes! Let the materials speak to you. I have learned this in tying variations of Spey & Dee patterns. This needs to be in everyone's Fly Tying 101 repertoire.

I', actually fourteen but i've been tying since I was nine. and despite my young age, i can tie just about any fly thrown at me. I'll see if i can post any of my best ties sometime soon.

View PostGreat tip!

Yes! Let the materials speak to you. I have learned this in tying variations of Spey & Dee patterns. This needs to be in everyone's Fly Tying 101 repertoire.

M. I like your hackle wings tied at the collar. It took me a while but being able to tie hackles flat on the collar was a great skill to pick up. I think I picked it up from tying spey flies + flatwings.