Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Rods to Try at Somerset

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I think I can get off for Somerset, and maybe even stay overnight (wife permitting) and .... and .....try a whole huge pile of rods. There's damn little I need (well, nothing, really) but there is a lot of fun in spending a day trying rods and then watching tyers tie. I intend to shadow Rich Murphy for a good long while.

Anyway, what rods ought I be trying in the 10-11-12wt bracket? I know I will try the Grey's Platinum 10 and 11. I like the 8wt a lot, but those friends who've tried it are unanimous that it's more a 9 then an 8. (I am ignoring their advice on this, and still fish it with with 8wt lines.) I want to cast with the Scott S4S, I know I love the CrossCurrent GLX 11, I'll try the latest Sage. What about all the other fancy new product?

I am sure there are guides and Pro Staffers here who've tried out the latest 10-11-12 wt rods from this and that other manufacturer. Ladies and Gentlemen, there are a lot of rods out there; tell me what I oughta be trying. Make a suggestion or two, please. Orvis? St.Croix? Please advise.

Carpal tunnel is messing up both wrists (surgical consult on Monday.) Bursitis is limiting the range of motion in both shoulders. The arc through which my rod moves is getting limited.

One possible casting fix: a two handed rod. Here's a notion: a brace with a socket on the right arm, above the elbow, for the rod butt, with the right hand holding what might otherwise be the fighting grip.

I can't be the first to think of this as a solution. Has anyone tried this?

I'm staying clear of the Rods! I have way to many now & will never pay retail. I will be spending most of my time checking out the tyers. Jonny King, David Nelson. Also good to see Lefty & Bob Clouser again. & Bob Pop of course & a host of others. Think I'll end up being a Social Butterfly cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

Oh Yea Hope to run into you also.biggrin.gif

try the XI3s 8 9 10, 11s--and the TCXs 8, 9 and 10. We have the XI3- 7, 12 and 14 but they are unfished as of yet.

If anyone is going to Tie Fest in February i will have the lot for casting.

View Posttry the XI3s 8 9 10, 11s--and the TCXs 8, 9 and 10. We have the XI3- 7, 12 and 14 but they are unfished as of yet.

If anyone is going to Tie Fest in February i will have the lot for casting.

I'll try them out when I come down & fish with you

View PostI think I can get off for Somerset, and maybe even stay overnight (wife permitting) and .... and .....try a whole huge pile of rods. There's damn little I need (well, nothing, really) but there is a lot of fun in spending a day trying rods and then watching tyers tie. I intend to shadow Rich Murphy for a good long while.

Anyway, what rods ought I be trying in the 10-11-12wt bracket? I know I will try the Grey's Platinum 10 and 11. I like the 8wt a lot, but those friends who've tried it are unanimous that it's more a 9 then an 8. (I am ignoring their advice on this, and still fish it with with 8wt lines.) I want to cast with the Scott S4S, I know I love the CrossCurrent GLX 11, I'll try the latest Sage. What about all the other fancy new product?

I am sure there are guides and Pro Staffers here who've tried out the latest 10-11-12 wt rods from this and that other manufacturer. Ladies and Gentlemen, there are a lot of rods out there; tell me what I oughta be trying. Make a suggestion or two, please. Orvis? St.Croix? Please advise.

Brain I've got a Grey's Platinum 9wt, lovely rod. Had the 8 but sold it to a friend he love's it. the 8 cast's great with a 8wt line a 9 would overload it. they are not as stiff as my crosscurrents. But are nice.

View PostCarpal tunnel is messing up both wrists (surgical consult on Monday.) Bursitis is limiting the range of motion in both shoulders. The arc through which my rod moves is getting limited.

One possible casting fix: a two handed rod. Here's a notion: a brace with a socket on the right arm, above the elbow, for the rod butt, with the right hand holding what might otherwise be the fighting grip.

I can't be the first to think of this as a solution. Has anyone tried this?

Surgery where the tunnel inside the wrist is cut open should cure your hands and healing is fast. I will need it if continue fishing heavy SH rods. Doctor can measure how much your nerve impulse travel time has slowed.

Casting a TH rod is easy to wrists. Most force is needed to the hold running line so it wont slip. Rod handle is usually held loosely in a "ring" made with the thumb and two first fingers.

I am afraid a socket wrapped an arm will cause strain to somewhere else and limit casting more than is gained, especially if compared to TH rod.

The rod I am anxious to test cast is Orvis Hydros which has the similar light blank as Helios but heavier components to make it less expensive but still $500+

And of course Orvis Helios 15' Spey TH rod.

It's fun to cast the high-end rods next to the bargain models, and see that there is little difference or that the low-end stuff is actually better. I'll bet most of us couldn't tell the difference between a $200 rod and an $800 one without the decals. biggrin.gif

I want to try the two handed kit for my 8 wt TFO TICRX. I may add it to my arsenal. naughty.gif Other than that I will just play with some of the other stuff.

No more high end stuff for the Spig. Third grandchild a few months and the wife is spending most of our $$ on baby things. But that is a good thing.biggrin.gif

Spigwink.gif

High-end rods are significantly lighter and thats what I like in them. And because of light blank they cast accurately and dampens faster. You notice it if you want.

Orvis uses very light and expensive reel seat in Helios but perhaps it is not good investment for someone who likes to balance rod. Orvis Hydros has middle class components but same light and sweet action blank.

IMHO there are three high-end (trout ~5wt) rods at the moment: Hardy Angel 2 TE, Sage TCX and Orvis Helios.