Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
strippinchicken

Loop Fly Reels: Opinions, experiences ?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I'm considering a Loop Opti-Runner for my 7 wt.

Does anyone out there use one, or do you have any opinions ( good or bad). A little pricey, but from what I see I like the set up.

Thanks for any input,

T

Super drag on those reels and ultra fast retrieve rate. They are a bit fragile, not the kind of reel that I would use on jettys and rocky areas. I also think that they are a bit over priced for what you are getting.

I had a evotec G3 HD 9/13 reel a few years ago, the spool warped while putting backing on it. Definately not built to the quality that the older Danielsons were and current ones are.

What isn't over priced now a days. I have no experence with that reel but for that money you have alot of choice's to choose from. I know the abel's are going for 50% off on a few web-sites. I guess they want to get ride of there older ones & push the QC reels. If you can make it to the Somerset show or the Bears Den Show you'd be able to see the & play with them. I kinda like that Hatch reel.

Thanks for the input, I'm not sure yet. I don't think I have to worry about casting it in the near future ( at least a couple ,three months). So, I do have time. I won't make Somerset, but I will be going to Marlboro and Bears Den sets up there, so I will do some research and try to get a better feel for it.

T,

I do not wish to seem presumptuous but -

I just want to make sure that you are aware of fact that Loop is made in Asia. They say the reel is DESIGNED in Sweden - but they do not tell you that it is BUILT in Sweden - because it is not.

The old Loop people sold the name to partners who now build the reel in Asia.

The old loop Heavy Duty reel was a great reel - the Evotec was just O.K.

The original Loop people now build the Danielsson in Sweden and is a great light weight reel. It comes in the Heavy Duty - H5D - and the Light Weight version - L5W.

You can buy directly from them.

Herb

I did see on the website that it is only partially made in Sweden.

As they put it: " Designed and developed in Sweden, with Critical parts also fabricated in Sweden"

I will look in the Danielsson, thanks for the tip.

I fish a Loop Opti Speedrunner. It does what it is desgned for better than any other reel on the market in my opinion. Loop understands that in the lighter saltwater reel, arbor is everything. Let me compare my Speedrunner to an older reel, say a Tibor Everglades. Say both fishing #8 for bones. The Tibor is beautifully designed with a lovely old drawbar drag and cork disc and very rigid. The downside is it is very heavy, and i would consider overengineered for any amount of force that i am going to be able to apply thru a #8 tippet and rod. You might feel like you are applying a lot of force at times, but the reality is you just can't put more then a few pounds of force force thru a #8 rod. And all that extra heft means that you can only fit a 3.75" arbor on your #8 rod and get a reasonable balance and weight. Whereas my Speedrunner gives me a 5.2" arbor. By virtue of a 30% increase in arbor, the lighter carbonfibre drag is able to compete with the cork for start up inertia. And then it kill the Tibor in most other respects. It spins 30% slower during a run. The drag is waterproof - and it is going to get dunked and saves you having to clean the reel up regularly or variable performance when you have a fish on. You can pick up line faster, particularly on a run towards you. You get less memory from stiff saltwater lines. The v-arbor also handles braid backing a whole lot better.

I have lost a whole lotta fish over the years, and when i think about the ways i have lost fish, i gotta say i have never lost a fish because the reel flexed or failed in some way. Not saying it doesn't happen, and if i was chasing world records i might be more concerned. Same as most folks, most of the fish i have ever lost have been due to line management issues in one form or another - line knotted going thru the guides, i trod on my line laying on the ground, line got caught around a strap on my shoe, line got caught on a button on my sleeve, or my particular speciality, the fish made a run towards me and i couldn't keep pressure on and it spat the fly. Now the big arbor won't remove these as issues for you, but it does make managing line a whole lot easier.

I won't say the Loop design is the best for all situations. If i was targeting barra in the mangroves with an #10 i would chose a more rigid compact reel like a Tibor. The fish won't run as far or as fast, but i'll want to apply more force to pull them away from the snag. But for most real situations with a light saltwater rod, the Loop Opti will be the better choice. When you think about about it, it is irrational that our reels just get bigger arbors for increasing line weights. Its a hold over from when line capacity was an issue. Now everybody i know is using 30lb braid for backing capacity is a non issue (and it is time for reel manufacturers to revisit their designs in this light). The fastest fish i target are with my #7 and #9 - so i would rather have a big arbor for them. Whereas, the fish i target with my #11 (thanks again Herb!), pull a whole lot harder but don't run as fast - i'd have a tougher more compact reel for them. Interestingly, the Loop Big (#12+ reel) is actually smaller arbor than the Speedrunner (#7-9), which is quite sensible really.

I should also add, i got my Opti for about $US350. Loop are far more expensive in the US than elsewhere. Keep an eye out on the big online auction shop and in the UK and Scandinavia. And yes, they are made in Korea, but the quality seems fine.

Loop speedrunner, at least the first production run(s?) had a problem being too flimsy. When a lot of pressure was on the line - you couldn't reel in because the spool was leaning against the frame. Same would've happened if you palmed... Runner wasn't as bad due to dimensions. They might have upgraded and the problems may be gone with the current ones. You can check it very easily. Just grap the frame with one hand and the spool with the other and try to "bend" the reel. If the spool moves very noticeably on the frame, it is flimsy. I've fiddled with one that didn't - I think it was BIG (if it wasn't it was megaloop) and it had a way more powerful drag than any runner or speedrunner I've fiddled with. I actu

If I had to choose from Swedish reels (or of reels of Swedish design), I would go for Danielsson (L5W 6nine - it accepts the 4seven spool also) without a blink. True Swedish reel. With the new reels they changed the drag quite a bit and nowadays L5W and H5D series actually have the same drag.

I bought Loop Opti Runner and i like the v-arbor and fast retrieve,but brake drag is smooth in lite position,if i try put moore presure it sqeeze.This reel is nice and light,but i sold it and buy Hatch.

View PostI bought Loop Opti Runner and i like the v-arbor and fast retrieve,but brake drag is smooth in lite position,if i try put moore presure it sqeeze.This reel is nice and light,but i sold it and buy Hatch.

Wise Move! Thos Hatch Reels are Sweet

View PostI fish a Loop Opti Speedrunner. It does what it is desgned for better than any other reel on the market in my opinion. Loop understands that in the lighter saltwater reel, arbor is everything. .

I agree with that. All Loop gear is very highly thought of in Europe.

It's a shame its so damn expensive here. Danielsson are also very good.