Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jayrod

What size Bombers do you like?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

First let me say that I did use the search function and I still have some questions. Does anybody like the a salt or the 17a? It seemed that the 16a was the most popular choice, but I was wondering if there were certain conditions where the a salt or 17a would be better.

Jared, There are times the 17a is king, but I usually use the 16a on most nights and dont forget about the 15a. I personally dont like the A-salt's I wouldn't buy any

View PostJared, There are times the 17a is king, but I usually use the 16a on most nights and dont forget about the 15a. I personally dont like the A-salt's I wouldn't buy any

I never thought about the 15a. How much does that one weigh?

View PostNot much bro, but when the fish are feeding on small bait and tight to the beach, You will clean up with one. Just be sure to change the hooks

Thanks for the tip George. I will have to get my hands on a couple.

View PostJared, There are times the 17a is king, but I usually use the 16a on most nights and dont forget about the 15a. I personally dont like the A-salt's I wouldn't buy any

+1

I will add that the jointed and straight 16A or (A-Salt 1 oz) in Chicken Scratch or (Yellow and White) and Black are the only 2 colors you need.wink.gif

I throw mostly the 16A's in the surf.. When the A-Salts came out I thought they would become the go-to Bomber with no middle treble and a little heavier @1oz. but I found myself having no reason to give up on the 16A.

15A's >

My favorite by far> but I must add I only throw them in the backbays where I can find some nice current to swim them..Although I can see that at times they could also be very effective out front if conditions are right.

They weigh I believe 5/8oz and are just killer in the back where the small bait lives most of the season. Here are some of my favorite patterns. And like JettyJunkie mentioned upgrade the hooks out of the package. I go up a size and use Mustads..

P2090698.jpg?t=1263135417

16A tends to be the best producer for me. I like the old hooks they used to put on them, which were three size 1 VMCs, now they come stock with three size 1/0 VMCs. I like to switch the 1/0 VMCs out and instead use three size 1 VMCs.

I've only thrown the 17A a few times, but have yet to have any luck with it, though I will say it does have a nice wiggle to it, I will keep on trying it. I also have never tryed the 15A. As for the A-Salt, it seems its not a popular bomber size, I can tell you it does catch fish, though not as consistently as the 16A. Though I have personally ran into a situation fishing a jetty, where the bass were slamming a A-Salt schoolbus bomber, and would not touch the 16A schoolbus bomber, whether the slight action difference or length was the reason for it I cannot say. But it proved to me the A-Salt was not a total waste to carry. The A-Salt will also catch fluke pretty well, though I have caught fluke on the 16A as well.