Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ndwalker

chartplotter/sounder

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Looking for input for chartplotter/sounder split screen.. Looking to spend ~ 1000, for a 15' bluefin dory. Raymarine A-Series? Garmin 546s? Betwen these two units, what do you think? Think the NY boat show would be worth the trip to get a good deal for electroncis?

You don't say what kind of boating you will be doing, but on a 15' boat I would go for a fairly simple unit. I went with Garmin. Its cheaper than the Raymarine, easy to use, and reliable. Look at the 400 series, same features but a 1" smaller screen. I put a 440s on my 24' bowrider, works great and 4" screen is sufficient for my needs. Saved a few bucks. I just cruise around bay, do some fishing, occasional trip into ocean. I'm happy with my choice.

Thanks. yeah just the rivers and the bay (sandy Hook). But I do want to be able to bottom fish some spots in the bay for tog/sea bass so need the chartplotter and fish/finder. West Marine has the 440s right now for I think 450$ w/o transducer.... not sure of the difference between the 400 series and some of the newer 500 series, quicker re-draw? Dont mind spending the money if it is worth it...

Everyone that gets a small boat thinks they only need a small screen when in reality the size of the screen should be larger if you expect to be able to read it while underway. I never could figure it outheadscratch.gif

i'm in the same situation, looking around for a chartplotter/fishfinder combo. Best I've found so far between the dollar value and feature is Garmin GPSMAP 441S since it comes with US coastal and inland lake data. It's around 480's after the $100 garmin rebate. Anyone have any experience on the "coastal data" portion of this unit?

After some research and input, I went with a Lowrance HDS-5 unit. pre-loaded with Nautic Insight maps. FF/Chart combo, internal GPS antenna and single ducer. Hope it fits the bill but have heard rave reviews.

IMO i dont reccommend the Garmins, i had a gamin for my first boat and had nothing but problems, and the boat i have now has the 500series and once again nothing but problems, im looking to change gps/ff this spring, and go with something different......once again its just my opinion

Check them all out at the boat show, it is easier to get a feel for what you like better when you can see them in person. I picked up a Raymarine A-series a couple of years ago at the show (and got a better price at the show). I went with the Raymarine because I liked the "landscape" orientation of the screen better, and the digital fishfinder they have is excellent.

View Posti'm in the same situation, looking around for a chartplotter/fishfinder combo. Best I've found so far between the dollar value and feature is Garmin GPSMAP 441S since it comes with US coastal and inland lake data. It's around 480's after the $100 garmin rebate. Anyone have any experience on the "coastal data" portion of this unit?

$100 rebate? Where can I find that?

The rebate you can grab from any of the retailer's website as well as garmin's website. It's call "chart-a-course" promotions for 4x1's and 5x1's series plotter/ff combos. Still haven't decided myself and wanted to wait until the northeast sportsman show to see them all.

I keep looking .........the last im mulling over is a new Lowrance Elite 5

on sale 3/8/10 Comes with a base map for coastal waters

Question.....im never more than 5 miles off ny/bight

can i get away with a base map or is it useless

thx

jim