Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barrell

Walpaper steamer

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Ive removed walpaper before. It was a pain in the.... but possible. Im struggling however to remove a walpaper strip on a house down here in Florida. Some idiot painted over it with gloss acrylic paint so I bought the Zissner puncture tool and Zissner chemical remover but it aint workin real well. Has anyone ever used a steamer? How good do they work and will it remove the paper coated with semi gloss paint?

i had to take multiple layer of wallpaper off , with some paint inbetween layers beatin.gifbeatin.gif

score then steam , scrape , repeat if necessary ...

pita but it is a lot easier and faster with a steamer smile.gif

Try using a 60% water 40% fabric softener mixture. Spray it on after you get an edge exposed. Rainy days are the best for W/P removal.

Yeah steamers work, but have never had to resort to them more than once before.

I've had luck using a hand sander to break thru the barrier so the stripper product (Diff in my case) could penetrate. Its usually a case of sand / apply stripper and repeat.

When you said 'a strip of wallpaper' I was envisioning one of those ceiling borders making it somewhat reasonable to sand.. If I misunderstood what you meant by "strip" and you're dealing with a real large area sanding may not be practical..

I've dealt with some awful stripping projects where in hindsight I would have saved time and sanity by re-sheetrocking.

View PostI've had luck using a hand sander to break thru the barrier so the stripper product (Diff in my case) could penetrate. Its usually a case of sand / apply stripper and repeat.

When you said 'a strip of wallpaper' I was envisioning one of those ceiling borders making it somewhat reasonable to sand.. If I misunderstood what you meant by "strip" and you're dealing with a real large area sanding may not be practical..

I've dealt with some awful stripping projects where in hindsight I would have saved time and sanity by re-sheetrocking.

Its a ceiling strip but they ran it all around the house and then up and down the sides of door openings. Then while trying to sell the house they painted the whole house with gloss paint burying the paper under the water resistant paint. I spent 4 hours yesterday and only removed an 8 foot section and did enough damage that spackling will be needed. I tried the fabric softener this morning but it worked no better then the Zissner. I was hoping one of you guys had "the magic bullet"

well attacking it with an orbital sander and 80 grit may help a little..

the only other tool I used was the Paper Tiger tool that perforates but I'm sure that the same thing as the Zissner puncture tool you've already tried..

besides the gloss paint acting as a barrier I'll doubt they applied 'sizing' which makes removal even harder. I'm beginning to think that your idea about trying a steamer is the next best option.. one other step would be calling any of the paint supply stores like MAB / Ben. Moore and get their input.. they just may have some ideas since I'll bet they deal with many stripping horror stories ... good luck and if you find something that works please post so I can add the option when/if I'm faced with a similar situation down the road..

I've done this all in the past (paper tiger, chemicals, pro steamer) and I came to the realization that I put more effort into removing the paper repreping the wall and dealng with the mess than I would have replacing the sheetrock.

Replacng was half the time and effort and I ended up with a better result.

Just my $0.02biggrin.gif

I removed all the wallpaper in my moms house after she died. It was a big 3 story house with wallpaper in almost every room and hallway. I used a scoring tool and loads of the liquid stripper stuff.

I found that the easiest way to do it is make sure you score the paper in a million places, and make sure the water in the remover solution is hot. Do a small area and keep spraying it . Don't let it dry out. Keeping the wallpaper wet is the key to easy removal. smile.gif

PS. I'll never do it again!!!

I had to do three or four rooms of a small house I owned years ago.

It was plaster on steel lathe, so I was not about to rip all of that out and put up sheetrock.

The woman who was there before us had dozens of cats, and apparently when the smell got bad enough she would paint over the wallpaper, and then paper over that.

Brutal.

There was one room that I counted at least 5 layers.

The only thing that worked for me was that tiger paw thing cutting holes in the layers, and spraying it with a mixture of water and vinegar that I would run through the coffee pot to heat up.

The hotter the better, and had to keep it wet, which was hard because all of that dried out paper would just soak it up fast.

I feel your pain.