Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

How to retrieve a needlefish?

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I have never fished a needlefish lure and would like to try it out this Spring. Can anyone tell me the theory of fishing this lure and what the action should be?

I like to reel them slow and give the rod a little pop every couple of cranks. I pop the rods just enough to feel tension of the lure and so that the lure twitches a little. I have caught all my biggest stripers on lure using a SS needle fishing bolder fields.

View PostUse the search function, lots of threads on this subject,

One word: SLOW.

Sigh..i know how to search, I just don't feel like sifting through 80 pages for something a person willing to share could type here. Also....I would like to respond to people with possible follow-up question.

View PostI like to reel them slow and give the rod a little pop every couple of cranks. I pop the rods just enough to feel tension of the lure and so that the lure twitches a little. I have caught all my biggest stripers on lure using a SS needle fishing bolder fields.

You think a sinking Needlefish may be a good Kayak lure? Looking to open up my choices on things to throw on a Yak besides eels and tubes.

View PostJohn Habs said you should be retrieving so slow you get bored.

LOL.....I wonder if the drift from the Yak would make this lure not so viable then........this lure is completely alien to me.

Any action on it? I mean do I need to twitch it, does it move in any certian way through the water?

View PostLOL.....I wonder if the drift from the Yak would make this lure not so viable then........this lure is completely alien to me.

Any action on it? I mean do I need to twitch it, does it move in any certian way through the water?

The most exciting part about a needle is wondering if there are fish around. It's a super slow retrieve, so slow you might fall asleep. I'm not a fish, but I've heard it's the v-wake left by the lure that attracts them. They have no action, but they definitely work.

View PostSlow but don't drag bottom. That's why you have floaters, slow sinkers, and fast sinkers.

John

View PostThe most exciting part about a needle is wondering if there are fish around. It's a super slow retrieve, so slow you might fall asleep. I'm not a fish, but I've heard it's the v-wake left by the lure that attracts them. They have no action, but they definitely work.

Ok...so MAYBE can get away with a slow troll on the Yak. I should by a few versions.

I fish a slow sink needle .. no action ,,but a rise ,sink,,depending on retrieve ,, I fish a 6" olive in the spring and a 9" blue/white summer thru the fall .. But last year did well with the 6" in the fall too .. Needles cast great .. Always have one with you and fish it when your tired and want to take a break . Long cast,, slow retrieve .. I'm just the oppisite now .. I have a hard time fishing anything but a needle now .. You can cover so much more water .. I fish them mainly at night but my little nephew caught a 35# bass on a blue/white at 2 pm because he didn't know any better .. I seem to always get quality fish on needles .. Have never had a schooly fest on needles ..

Actually, if you get a Tagger needle all you need to do is wave it around near water and fish will throw themselves at your feet. Too bad he doesn't make bras.

OK Needlescwm27.gif, all depending on where I am fishing. Lets say I am fishing the open beach. I usually throw them when the tide (sweep) slacks a little. I like to drag them low and slow. White water is always great but doesn't matter if you find goods structure such as a bar, cut or a trough.

Now my favorite way is in a inlet with moving water. I like to throw them up current letting them sink and retrieve slow as you go. It takes time to learn but if you keep contact with the lure you will feel confident that the lure is doing its job. Of course the fish will tell you if your doing it right wink.gif.

Don't be discouraged , practice practice practice. >>>Martin

The 2oz. Afterhours slow sinking needles have a slight wiggle to them when fishing nice & slow, they work best in a moderate surf with waves no bigger than 1ft. The white needle produced for me very well at dawn in the month of May. Now Blurple, Black & gold and Black needles at night are Striper Assassins!!!

Carlos