Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisher6280

casting problems?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

the rod i used last year was a rod i borrowed from a friend. the rod i used last year was an 8 wt, which i had no problem casting.remember that i am only 13 years old. the rod i bought for myself is a 9 wt. it is 6in. longer than the 8 wt. i used before. am i likely to have problems casting my rod?

View Postremember that i am only 13 years old. the rod i bought for myself is a 9 wt. it is 6in. longer than the 8 wt. i used before. am i likely to have problems casting my rod?

has anyone forgot yet biggrin.gifcwm13.gifbiggrin.gif fisher you have bank, i need to work where you work smile.gif what kind of rod did you get? makes a nice difference. what's the length? and how tall are you?

fisher,

You are in need of some help.!!!! It's very difficult to help a beginner learn to cast by writing and reading little snippets in a forum. It's also IMPOSSIBLE to learn if you have lots of people trying to teach you, everybody has a different idea of what you need. You will be going crazy trying to learn and will get nowhere.

Having said that, my advise is; Find a local fly fishing club and join (it won't cost much). They have mentors and/or classes designed to help folks learn fishing, casting and tying. If you are polite, respectful, and remember your place us old guys will be tripping over each other to help you out.

Don O

fisher,

If you live in NJ and your dad would be willing to transport you to my area of South Joisey, I'd be happy to give you some introductory tips on flycasting. I am not an FFF instructor but I think I might be able to help you out.

Best part of fishing is passing it on to newbies.biggrin.gif

Spig

For Fisher and anyone else interested in a casting tune-up or lesson, the Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF) will have a booth and casting area at the upcoming Somerset show. Free instruction will be offered by certified casting instructors. I will be working from 10 a.m. to Noon on Friday. Come by and share some casts.

Phil Shook

Hi Phil,

This really IS a good idea, and is a fine opportunity for anyone wanting some help. Maybe even I will help out, that is, if I'm qualified! (and they let me)

Phil, is this indoors? I would think so.

Also, was this set up by National FFF or Northeast Regional? Will Gordy Hill be there? I know he's at Marlborough. I'm curious who'll be teaching there too.

Best Regards,

Mark

Happy New Year, Mark:

Of course, you are more than welcome to join us. It is very low key but we welcome beginners and experts, celebrities and natural born distance casters. In addition to the casting area, there is a tying table that was a big hit with kids, and grown kids, last year.

It is sponsored by the Northeastern Council of FFF and there will be a number of certified casting instructors from all over the Northeast available throughout the weekend. If you drop by we may extend the casting area.

All best,

Phil Shook