Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ESyakr

Graphite reels?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

The more I look at reels, the more questions I come up with, and I appreciate everyone's help so far, and hope ya dont mind another questionwink.gif

I am looking for a conventional for use in my kayak, for trolling Stretch's, bottom fishing for bull reds, and live eels for stripers. I keep looking at the Penn GS series, the 525 MAG, and the 535 GS.

The 535 looks great for the above mentioned duties, and I hear great things about the 525 MAG as a surf caster. I just dont know about the graphite bodies though. Are they strong enough for bull reds? Are the drags strong and smooth?

This may sound stupid, but I was wondering if really cold weather weather would effect the strength of these, will the get brittle in 25 degree weather?

I really appreciate any info.

I'm not an engineer, but I think it would have to be a whole lot colder than 25 degrees for a composite reel to become brittle enough to break. My guess is you'd suffer long before the reel would get cold enough to fail.

Valentine

For what its worth. I own a few of the Penn graphite spinning reels and have used them in some frigid weather. I'm talking 20 degrees with strong winds with low chill factor. they held up fine.As for big fish .I caught 30 lb bass on them and there still in good shape.I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Maybe you should get rid of the graphite rod and get an aluminum one to hold up to the cold. Just kidding. If graphite would get brittle fishing in the temperatures you are talking about your graphite rod would break long before you would have any trouble with the reel.

John