Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tradrodz

Drilling out a 704

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I'm sure the questions been asked a million times before, is there a certain way to drill the rotor cup out for balancing? are there certain spots I shouldn't drill? I'll be using a drill press and I'm pretty good at diy projects just would like some input and possibly pics before I start drilling. Thanks

If you don't mind a follow-up question for the same crowd - is it generally a drill press, or does anyone dremel these things?

I would imagine aluminum is pretty easy to drill through, and I've got no drill press.

View PostI'm sure the questions been asked a million times before, is there a certain way to drill the rotor cup out for balancing? are there certain spots I shouldn't drill? I'll be using a drill press and I'm pretty good at diy projects just would like some input and possibly pics before I start drilling. Thanks

View PostIf you don't mind a follow-up question for the same crowd - is it generally a drill press, or does anyone dremel these things?

I would imagine aluminum is pretty easy to drill through, and I've got no drill press.

I've seen quite a few DIY rotor drilling jobs here on SOL and don't recall complaints of rotor imbalance following the drilling.

In general, imbalance is sensed as RPM increases.

Reel rotors don't spin very fast so I wouldn't worry about rotor imbalance provided that the holes are pretty evenly spaced and located around the rotor.

Look at custom drilling jobs to get ideas as to where and where not to drill, then carefully eyeball the rotor to properly locate and space the holes.

Members have used dremels to drill, slot, and cut asymmetrical holes in rotors.

Aluminum is a soft metal that is easily drilled.

Tape a piece of graph paper or paper measuring tape to the rotor to evenly space the hole locations.

When you are SURE of the hole locations center punch them so the drill bit will stay properly located as you begin to drill.

When drilling larger holes first drill a smaller hole. (The smaller hole is called a pilot hole.)

If the larger hole is 1/4" first drill a 1/8" hole, if the larger hole is 3/8" first drill a 3/16" hole.

Good luck.

lichum.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif