Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MDC

a 24" and one 32" striped bass?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

By RICHARD DEGENER, Staff Writer | Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010

GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP - Anglers may get to keep a smaller striped bass if the New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council has its way.

The council decided Thursday to ask the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, a panel of East Coast states that regulates migratory fish, if it could lower the limit to 24 inches for one striper per angler per day. A second striped bass could be kept if it is 32 inches or larger.

Regulations currently allow two striped bass per day at 28 inches or greater. A move to one 24-inch fish and one 32-inch fish meets something called a "conservation equivalency," which means it would have the same impact on stocks from allowing two 28-inch fish.

The change already has met the ASMFC outlines for a conservation equivalency but would still have to be formally approved by the commission.

The council decision followed a heated debate at Thursday's meeting that Chairman Gil Ewing said included nine anglers favoring the change and two opposing it. One commercial fisherman, Marty Buzas, of Wildwood, made a pitch to allow a commercial harvest, which currently is not allowed in New Jersey with striped bass.

Most of the party and charter boat operators favored a smaller fish, as regulations have cut back many traditional catches, and it would be one way to keep customers happy as it increases the odds of them catching a keeper.

"I do about 80 striper trips a year. It would be a boost to the fishery with so many other closures," Capt. Eddie Yates said.

Some argued the change would reduce mortality, although one maintained the 32-inch size would take out "the big breeders."

The Shark River Surf Anglers Association opposed the change, arguing the smaller size would increase the number of fish harvested.

One captain argued for a range of 24 to 28 inches for one fish and a second fish more than 28 inches. This would not meet the conservation equivalency.

Dave Showell, of the Absecon Bay Sportsman Center, expressed concern that a 24-inch size could lead some to throw fish that size back, dead, as they catch larger fish during the day and hope to upgrade.

"It could be a problem if they catch a 24-inch, then catch a 44-inch. That 24-inch will look pretty little," Showell said.

The council voted to move forward with the process but the change could take awhile. Besides needing ASFMC approval, a change involving striped bass regulations also takes an act of the state Legislature, said Tom McCloy, a state fishing administrator.

Contact Richard Degener:

609-463-6711

so an angler with these regs could in fact keep 1 bass @ 31" and 1 @ 32"? correct?

i like the small fish (taste better) but i think they need to instate a slot size we cannot keep. lets say 32-38" for example.

View Postso an angler with these regs could in fact keep 1 bass @ 31" and 1 @ 32"? correct?

i like the small fish (taste better) but i think they need to instate a slot size we cannot keep. lets say 32-38" for example.

you could keep one fish at >24" and a second fish >32" So with a bonus card you could keep a 24" fish, a 28" fish, and a 32" fish.

I don't like the two fish per person limit. How about 1 fish 36" of bigger. That's my preference.

Or 1 fish 24" or bigger?

We need to conserve, not increase the amount kept.

And this talk about guys throwing back smaller fish dead when larger fish are caught, disgusts me how low some people are.

We've been down this road before, guys in So. Jersey liked it, guys in No. Jersey didn't. Keep the regs like they are unless the stocks are restored then go back to 10 fish at 18"s.

How much does one here eat per week? Keep eating those Bass you guys, by the decades end, you won't even remember where you caught your last fish.

What the He** do we need a reduced size limit for? For all the pig2.gif 's

Unnecessary move! IMO!

View PostOne fish per day at 28"

for everyone. least until the numbers north of cape cod are better. Last couple of years sucked north of the canal.

This is just a way to take more fish as the stock dwindles down and 28" fish become harder to come by.....

A 24" min will just rob NJ of it's resident pop. You know how everyone always bitches about big fish being killed north and south? Well, if they change the regs to a 24" min this will be a direct impact on NJ. NJ's charter/party/rec boaters will once again rob away the resident population making fishing in NJ during periods when the dwindling migrating fish are not here worthless.

EVERYONE knows a 24" min means MORE fish will be killed. Now, honestly does anyone really think the current stock condition should allow for even more fish to be killed?

John

I would vote for one fish per day 28-36" and one fish per YEAR over 40". Have a punch on the license card to signify that fish. No taking a fish to scale without you card.

This will give you a good size fish for the dinner table when ever you go out and will make those who want to take a big fish think twice about when they do so. Will it be for a look at me shot....my PB, or a tournament? This would also increase tournaments promotion of C&R photos results.

It still lets the smaller fish grow up and learn and it protects the genes of larger fish that are more likely to reproduce larger fish.

View PostI would vote for one fish per day 28-36" and one fish per YEAR over 40". Have a punch on the license card to signify that fish. No taking a fish to scale without you card.

This will give you a good size fish for the dinner table when ever you go out and will make those who want to take a big fish think twice about when they do so. Will it be for a look at me shot....my PB, or a tournament? This would also increase tournaments promotion of C&R photos results.

It still lets the smaller fish grow up and learn and it protects the genes of larger fish that are more likely to reproduce larger fish.

Not a bad idea. This would limit the tards running around to tackle shops showing off catches, just to toss them in dumpsters.

View PostNow, honestly does anyone really think the current stock condition should allow for even more fish to be killed?

John

Apparently our friends in conservation from NJ think so.

freak.gif

So with a bogus card you could still kill 3 large bassfrown.gif

A 24" min. is going to kill a lot of immature fishfrown.gif

What's wrong about 1 fish over 28" and no bogus tag or better yet a true slot for the table maybe 28" - 36" or something like that?

When will they learn the bass are in trouble and we need to drastically reduce the number of breeders killed.mad.gif