Roller tip help

Rate this topic

wilkesiii

Most guys just grab the old tip with pliers and pull straight out while heating the guide. Don't twist it and don't fry the tip with too much heat.

You just epoxy the new tip on.

You need to size it so the line running from the guide before it does not touch the blank between the roller and the tip and also you need to take into account the weight rating of the whole set up and get the tip that matches.

View PostMost guys just grab the old tip with pliers and pull straight out while heating the guide. Don't twist it and don't fry the tip with too much heat.

You just epoxy the new tip on.

You need to size it so the line running from the guide before it does not touch the blank between the roller and the tip and also you need to take into account the weight rating of the whole set up and get the tip that matches.

Thanks. But how do I pick whatt tube size i need. I was looking on cabelas and they had the roller tip but so many choices on models. Cant decide which one I need.

As best as possible the tube should fit the tip of the rod perfectly. The tip tube is specified in 64th of an inch. Measure the tip diameter. Say its 12 /64 , you need a 12 tube. If there is no exact match get the closest size up and fill in the extra space with a thread wrap or epoxy. It should fit really good though or you will have problems after some time.

View PostAs best as possible the tube should fit the tip of the rod perfectly. The tip tube is specified in 64th of an inch. Measure the tip diameter. Say its 12 /64 , you need a 12 tube. If there is no exact match get the closest size up and fill in the extra space with a thread wrap or epoxy. It should fit really good though or you will have problems after some time.

How do I measure the tip? Sorry for all the questions.

Best way is a vernier caliper. A micrometer will do. Some just eyeball using a scale with markings for 64ths. Some people have guages with different size holes in them that they match up. Some people wrap a piece of tape around the tip and mark a start and stop then measure the length with a scale and divide by pi.

Best way is the vernier caliper IMO.

No offence meant but best to measure OD of your rod after removing existing tip top. Best also to measure about half an inch down from the tip to make sure you get a top with a big enough hole in it. Don't forget to remove any old epoxy residue before taking the measurements. Also and some would say I am getting into sementics some blanks are not perfectaly round, so take a few measurements and rotate the blank around to find the biggest OD. Very frustrating to order a tip top and its too tight to get on. Many of us order tip tops that are a size up and down to the nominal dimension but with Roller tips that's an expensive game, especially if you don't routinaly build many rods.

Mike

View PostNo offence meant but best to measure OD of your rod after removing existing tip top. Best also to measure about half an inch down from the tip to make sure you get a top with a big enough hole in it. Don't forget to remove any old epoxy residue before taking the measurements. Also and some would say I am getting into sementics some blanks are not perfectaly round, so take a few measurements and rotate the blank around to find the biggest OD. Very frustrating to order a tip top and its too tight to get on. Many of us order tip tops that are a size up and down to the nominal dimension but with Roller tips that's an expensive game, especially if you don't routinaly build many rods.

Mike

Yeah they are expensive but I think they are worth it. just want to make sure i get the right size the first time. I broke the inside of my old tip and now i am triing to upgrade. Thanks for the answer and i will measure in different ways.