Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steamboat1

As Part Of The March On Washington DC

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

and if you think it's time for independent fishermen to once again be allowed significant participation in federal fisheries management, go to http://fs16.formsite.com/FixMagnusonNow/form793561462/ and read the letter that's linked there thanking the sponsors of the proposed Magnuson Flexibility legislation, pointing out - nicely - that it's a good start and acknowledging - not so nicely - some of the reasons that fishermen are in the shape they're in today.

It was crafted by 14 rec, comm and party/charter people (with some unintentional and unfortunate omissions). If you agree with it, sign on - and spread the web address around. The letter will be presented to the sponsors, and non-sponsors as well, at the rally in DC on February 24th.

Thanks,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is interested in joining the Fishermans March on Washington DC Feb. 24 there are buses being organized from several locations in New Jersey & New York. You can find information on these buses here. http://www.ssfff.net/marchondcticketsdirections.html

or here http://www.tradewindsfishing.com/fisheries-law.cfm

"The increase in our seafood trade deficit, which went from $6 billion in 2000 to $9 billion in 2008 and is still

rising, is in the largest part due to the unnecessarily harsh and inflexible management regime that is now

afflicting our fishermen."

Dear Congress,

We wanna kill fish like Japan does.

Love,

The Delusional.

cwm13.gif

This was written by what? 6 Comms 6 Partyboat owners and their 2 gullible rec friends?

View Post"The increase in our seafood trade deficit, which went from $6 billion in 2000 to $9 billion in 2008 and is still

rising, is in the largest part due to the unnecessarily harsh and inflexible management regime that is now

afflicting our fishermen."

Dear Congress,

Love,

The Delusional.

cwm13.gif

This was written by what? 6 Comms 6 Partyboat owners and their 2 gullible rec friends?

Does that mean you won't be Marching?? cwm27.gif

View Post

Dear Congress,

Love,

The Delusional.

cwm13.gif

I couldn't agree with you more. This is nothing more than a plea by the commercial, and some foolish recreational guys, to allow people to kill more fish. I'm sorry but a "seafood deficit" is about the most absurd thing I have ever heard someone complain about.

Economically speaking, the conservation of your own natural resources while creating a market allowing others to squander theirs by selling to you at a cost typically lower than what you could produce it for on your own in the long run is the smartest thing you can do.

If the fisherman were really smart they would stop pushing to increase quotas and start pushing to limit what can be SOLD in the market place. This would allow them to make more of a profit on the limited catch they are allowed to make and would reduce the importation of cheap, low quality, and indiscriminately caught fish in the market.

View PostThis was written by what? 6 Comms 6 Partyboat owners and their 2 gullible rec friends?

Actually the march is being fully supported by the RFA (Recreational Fishing Alliance). They are only one of the many fishing organizations supporting, promoting & asking for your participation. Don't believe me? Here is their news release about the march. http://www.joinrfa.org/Press/UnitedWeFish_121609.pdf

But if you prefer to keep pitting yourselves against eachother with each group blaming the other go right ahead. Don't complain when your right to fish is taken away from you because you'll have knowone to blame but yourselves.

Is it to much to ask of you to sign a letter supporting revisions to the Magnuson Stevens Act? Is it to much to ask of you to show your support for real science based fisheries management by attending the march? Or is the best you can do is turn on your computer and complain on a website? I can tell you one thing, complaining here will accomplish absolutely nothing.

FISHERMEN TO MARCH ON WASHINGTON FEBRUARY 24

"Visit the Bus Sign-Up Stations at the Federation Show in Freeport February 12-14"

You're either on the bus or you're off the bus, there's no in between. There are plenty of conservation and hardline preservation groups who are also opposed to the Pallone/Schumer legislation to fix this broken federal fisheries law. These groups are also opposed to our rally efforts and instead favor non-scientific, arbitrary, "time-specific" deadlines which have resulted in decreased access to fluke, sea bass and porgies in the North, and a complete shutdown of red snapper and amberjack fisheries down south.

So don't worry, you're not alone in your lack of support for this February 24 rally. Many of those folks of course - the ones receiving monetary support from the Pew Environment Group and others who ultimately prefer to see our nation's coastal fisheries run by a series of "catch share" programs - would like to put a hard limit the number of fishermen by privatizing the resource for those who can afford it or are willing to pay top dollar for access. These groups are trying to phase out the undesirables who like to bring home fish from a day on the water. As me about the 20/20 document sometime - these elitists want to turn sportfishing into a pure catch & release effort, with harvest opportunities offered only to those who can afford to pay top dollar.

For the rest of us, giving up is not an option, nor is compromising away our right to free and open access to a public resource.

This historic event on February 24 is being coordinated so that our representatives in DC can join us on the steps of the Capitol, in an effort to get fellow legislators to understand that the fishermen are a voting force in America. You can't do that on a weekend gents - if you really want something bad enough, you have to be willing to sacrifice.

Now, you can bet that there will be a show of force from the preservationists who like the failures in our current management system. They have the luxury of having BILLIONS of dollars at their disposal to pay young activisits to show up at events. In the recreational fishing community, it's about our passion for fishing.

We have to fix Magnuson, and a Wednesday rally will show legislators during the work week just how important our "RIGHT TO FISH" really is!

A bus effort is currently underway in New York and New Jersey. The folks from the Save the Summer Flounder Fishery Fund will be keeping tabs on the regional caravan effort, and as more busses are added to get folks back and forth to the event, you can find the list grow here http://www.ssfff.net/marchondcticketsdirections.html

From February 12-14 at the Freeport Recreation Center, the New York Sportfishing Federation's 28th Annual Forum & Auction will feature sign-up stations. We'll have 50 or 60 vendors at the show again, along with a full seminar line-up, and as many buses as will be leaving from Long Island the New York Marine District are available at that time, we're going to make sure they're filled by show attendees.

Each bus can accommodate 54 passengers, there are eight buses currently being filled, and I expect to get word on another three this week. If Maryland & Delaware anglers commit to 10 buses, and North Carolina and Virginia commits to 10 buses, and New York and New Jersey anglers can finally find a unified voice on just one effort to save our right to fish, then I truly believe that we can get a caravan of 15 buses traveling south together down I95 on the morning of the 24th in a rally for support of this legislation (we're more than half-way to that goal already!)

Now we're talking roughly 2000 saltwater anglers standing in front of the Capitol in a show of support for our coastal communities from a Mid-Atlantic region only, and only through the bus effort. That's just to start!

Make no mistake, the fisheries closures will continue without congressional intervention. We have compiled a list of more than 150 groups nationwide that support the Pallone / Schumer legislation and an end to the preservationists' ideological manipulation. We support sound science, but we also support free and open access to our nation's public resources, we support an angler's right to fish!

Does your club, group or business support an end to arbitrary closures on important coastal fisheries like fluke and sea bass? Visit www.joinrfa.org to learn how to climb aboard that bus as well.

This is much bigger than any one state issue or individual grievance. We have one shot at this, and for anyone who's ever thought about their individual contribution to a historic event, and the chance to rally on our Nation's Capitol in support of something for which you're truly passionate about, going to DC on the 24th shouldn't be a burden. It should be a celebration!

There's a bus leaving from Captree, there's another one leaving from Montauk, and another from Sheepshead Bay. Within the next few weeks, I'm sure we'll see more sign-up and departure locations, and be sure to visit the Freeport Recreation Center from February 12-14 for the 28th Annual Forum & Auction where you can get more information on how to get on the bus for this once-in-a-lifetime chance to rally in DC with your fellow fishermen!

Jim Hutchinson

New York Sportfishing Federation & Recreational Fishing Alliance

View PostIs it to much to ask of you to sign a letter supporting revisions to the Magnuson Stevens Act? Is it to much to ask of you to show your support for real science based fisheries management by attending the march? Or is the best you can do is turn on your computer and complain on a website? I can tell you one thing, complaining here will accomplish absolutely nothing.

All your letter does is ask to revise it.

Who's gonna revise it?

Comms?

Recs?

Who?

We all know neither groups will agree on how to regulate it so NOTHING would happen.

I will not support a blatantly biased group who's goal is to open up the already destroyed fisheries to more abuse.

View PostI couldn't agree with you more. This is nothing more than a plea by the commercial, and some foolish recreational guys, to allow people to kill more fish. I'm sorry but a "seafood deficit" is about the most absurd thing I have ever heard someone complain about.

Economically speaking, the conservation of your own natural resources while creating a market allowing others to squander theirs by selling to you at a cost typically lower than what you could produce it for on your own in the long run is the smartest thing you can do.

If the fisherman were really smart they would stop pushing to increase quotas and start pushing to limit what can be SOLD in the market place. This would allow them to make more of a profit on the limited catch they are allowed to make and would reduce the importation of cheap, low quality, and indiscriminately caught fish in the market.

beers.gif

View PostAll your letter does is ask to revise it.

Who's gonna revise it?

Comms?

Recs?

Who?

Stop back in when you get a clue, it's not hard to figure out and the answer is non of the above.

Here's a hint, HR1584 & S1255.

I guess if you would like people to support the legislation in the works, it's usually best to to tell them to get a clue. wink.gif but then that's my opinion

the bills summary is as follows

3/18/2009--Introduced.

Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act of 2009 - Amends the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act to require fishery management plans, amendments, or regulations for overfished fisheries to specify a time period for ending overfishing and rebuilding the fishery that is as short as practicable (currently, as short as possible). Modifies the exceptions to the requirement that such period not exceed ten years. Requires consideration, in evaluating progress to end overfishing and rebuild overfished stocks, of factors other than commercial and recreational fishing. Requires, when the Secretary of Commerce extends the period under specified provisions, that the maximum rebuilding time not exceed the sum of the initial ten-year period, the expected time to rebuild the stock absent any fishing mortality and under prevailing environmental conditions, and the mean generation time of the stock.

the full bill

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the 'Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act of 2009'.

SEC. 2. EXTENSION OF TIME PERIOD FOR REBUILDING CERTAIN OVERFISHED FISHERIES.

Section 304(e) of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (16 U.S.C. 1854(e)(4)) is amended--

(1) in paragraph (4)(A)--

(A) in clause (i) by striking 'possible' and inserting 'practicable'; and

(B) by amending clause (ii) to read as follows:

'(ii) not exceed 10 years, except in cases where--

'(I) the biology of the stock of fish, other environmental conditions, or management measures under an international agreement in which the United States participates dictate otherwise;

'(II) the Secretary determines that such 10-year period should be extended because the cause of the fishery decline is outside the jurisdiction of the Council or the rebuilding program cannot be effective only by limiting fishing activities;

'(III) the Secretary determines that such 10-year period should be extended to provide for the sustained participation of fishing communities or to minimize the economic impacts on such communities, provided that there is evidence that the stock of fish is on a positive rebuilding trend;

'(IV) the Secretary determines that such 10-year period should be extended for one or more stocks of fish of a multi-species fishery, provided that there is evidence that those stocks are on a positive rebuilding trend;

'(V) the Secretary determines that such 10-year period should be extended because of a substantial change to the biomass rebuilding target for the stock of fish concerned after the rebuilding plan has taken effect; or

'(VI) the Secretary determines that such 10-year period should be extended because the biomass rebuilding target exceeds the highest abundance of the stock of fish in the 25-year period preceding and there is evidence that the stock is on a positive rebuilding trend;'; or

(2) in paragraph (7), in the matter preceding subparagraph (A), by inserting after the first sentence the following: 'In evaluating progress to end overfishing and to rebuild overfished stocks of fish, the Secretary shall review factors, other than commercial fishing and recreational fishing, that may contribute to a stock of fish's overfished status, such as commercial, residential, and industrial development of, or agricultural activity in, coastal areas and their impact on the marine environment, predator/prey relationships of target and related species, and other environmental and ecological changes to the marine conditions.'; and

(3) by adding at the end the following:

'(8) If the Secretary determines that extended rebuilding time is warranted under subclause (III), (IV), (V), or (VI) of paragraph (4)(A)(ii), the maximum time allowed for rebuilding the stock of fish concerned may not exceed the sum of the following time periods:

'(A) The initial 10-year rebuilding period.

'(B) The expected time to rebuild the stock absent any fishing mortality and under prevailing environmental conditions.

'© The mean generation time of the stock.

'(9) In this subsection the term 'on a positive rebuilding trend' means that the biomass of the stock of fish has shown a substantial increase in abundance since the implementation of the rebuilding plan.'.

View PostI guess if you would like people to support the legislation in the works, it's usually best to to tell them to get a clue. wink.gif but then that's my opinion

the bills summary is as follows

the full bill

Keep in mind that this is just the bill which seeks to alter some of the Magnuson-Stevens Act. The full act is over 100 pages long. I just printed it out - it should help me get to sleep at night. You can find the full act here - http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/magact/.

Reading 100 page government documents...Spring can't come quick enough for me.

RS

View Postand if you think it's time for independent fishermen to once again be allowed significant participation in federal fisheries management, go to http://fs16.formsite.com/FixMagnusonNow/form793561462/ and read the letter that's linked there thanking the sponsors of the proposed Magnuson Flexibility legislation, pointing out - nicely - that it's a good start and acknowledging - not so nicely - some of the reasons that fishermen are in the shape they're in today.

In your congressional letter you state "Lost in the spin is the fact that most US fisheries are recovered, sustainable and growing." Which of our Northeast fish are you including in this claim?

Thanks.

RS

First off it's not my letter & I had nothing to do with writing it. I only posted it here for informational purposes & to help draw support for both the letter to Congress & the March by Fisherman on Washington DC.

As for your question about which species of fish are deemed to be fully recovered in the NE I know of 3 off hand. Both striped bass & black seabass have recovered to over 100% of the targeted biomass. Porgies (scup) have recovered to over 200% of the targeted biomass. Yet the regs remain the same as if they haven't recovered and in the case of black seabass have become even more restrictive. The sea bass regs are another story though having to do with the SSC which is being addressed & has already had some positive results. There may be other species which I am not aware of but I know these 3 for sure. I'm not a fishery manager, I only take an interest in the management process & how it works. It is quite complicated for those not aware. I support the efforts of the fishermen (both rec & comm) & have seen how they have been unfairly regulated. The management process has switched from both a science based management (which is a guesstimate at best) & observations by those in the industry to strictly a science based system. This is especially true with the new appointments to both the head of NOAA & members of the ASMFC.

There are currently 8 buses being organized from NY & NJ for the trip down to the Fishermans March In Washington DC. For more information or to make a reservation for one of these buses you can go here http://www.ssfff.net/marchondcticketsdirections.html

or here http://www.tradewindsfishing.com/fisheries-law.cfm

I am personally trying to organize the bus leaving from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.

View Post This is especially true with the new appointments to both the head of NOAA & members of the ASMFC.

In addition to those there is bluefish, bunker, sea herring, Lobster in the Gulf of Maine and off on Geoges Bank, Northern Shrimp, Monkfish, Scallops, croaker, Red drum, both of the squid stocks I believe, and fluke is nearly rebuilt.

ASMFC and NOAA have little to do with moving from a partly industry based management to one totally of science. that is what is now required by congress act. That the science be the only thing that dictates how many fish get caught. Even the head of NOAA cannot go against the directions of the councils Science and Statistical Committees.

View PostIn addition to those there is bluefish, bunker, sea herring, Lobster in the Gulf of Maine and off on Geoges Bank, Northern Shrimp, Monkfish, Scallops, croaker, Red drum, both of the squid stocks I believe, and fluke is nearly rebuilt.

ASMFC and NOAA have little to do with moving from a partly industry based management to one totally of science. that is what is now required by congress act. That the science be the only thing that dictates how many fish get caught. Even the head of NOAA cannot go against the directions of the councils Science and Statistical Committees.

Yes the SSC sets the quota but both NOAA, ASMFC, & state fishing agencies have the ability to shut a fishery down if they believe regions or states are going over the quota. This happened 2 years ago in NY with the fluke season being closed early & the early shut down of black sea bass fishing in federal waters this year. In addition they can set the regulations for individual states & determine how the quota will be distributed among the states in some instances.

View PostYes the SSC sets the quota but both NOAA, ASMFC, & state fishing agencies have the ability to shut a fishery down if they believe regions or states are going over the quota.

of course, because by law going over the quota in one year means it comes off the next. So if it looks like the fishery is going over the quota set by the SSC states and the feds shut it down, just like the coms. the other approach would be to let the fishery go over and have NO fishery the following year.

How the quota is divided is up to the councils and ASMFC, NOAA has nothing to do with that other then enforcing those decisions. And that's not going to change with the law as proposed.