Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gully

shrimp bisque?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

got a recipe? ive been sitting on some shrimp shells that ive frozen waiting to make a bisque. the recipes ive seen call for the shells to be sauted with some aromatics add water/stock cooked then drained. but ive seen others that call for the veggies to be pureed after cooking and kept with the bisque. im a little confused. what to do?

An oldie but goody from a member that we haven't "seen" in a long while, and used to be a Forum Leader in this forum (in fact, the original one), Marksharky:

This can be made with Lobster cavities or shrimp shells. If using lobster make sure you clean the cavity of the lobster well under cold running water & remove the feed sack.

-Start by sauteing your shells over moderate heat in a non-stick pan with a little oil until you get some nice color on them. Then add some tomato paste or sauce a bit of salt & pepper stir in the pan with a wooden spoon. When you see the shells starting to get a little crusty looking take the pan away from the stove and deglaze it with brandy, return to fire, ignite it. Just make sure the kids aren't standing to close and don't use to much brandy. I would use about 3 ounces per deglazing, if you have too many shells you can work in batches. The key is not to overcrowd your pan as to get a nice saute on your shells , do not sweat them you will lose flavour. As your pan builds up a crust you can also deglaze it with white wine for additional flavour.

- Transfer the shells into a stock pot with some chopped carrot, onions, celery, bay leaf, peppercorns, leftover tomato ends and a little old bey season.

Cover with cold water and bring to a SIMMER, be sure to remove the scum from the top of the stock with a ladle. You will simmer this approximately 1 hour. Take a ladle or 2 of this liquid out to cook your shrimp or lobster in, really you could just let them sit in the hot broth and they should cook. Strain the rest of the liquid & reduce it down until you get a nice flavoured stock add some seasoning as needed. I would guess you should have about 1 gallon of stock when done.

-In a seperate pan with a little olive oil saute a 1/4 cup of diced pancetta (or bacon) until crispy .........

-OK here comes the little bit of tricky part making the right amount of roux, I would use 1 stick of butter. Melt it in the pan the pancetta is in and add some small evenly diced carrots, celery, vidalia onions for sweetness and 4 cloves crushed garlic - saute until aroma is apparent. Then add in flour until you get a nice roux* with the consistency of wet sand. (transfer this with a rubber spatula into a stock pot) Now in order to get a smoothe soup you need to add about 2 cups of cold whole milk or skim (if ya like it light) into the roux while whipping with a wire whip constantly. When it just begins to thicken add in your hot stock with a large ladle about 8 oz. at a time while whipping, let it thicken after each addition until desire consisteny is reached. Once you reach the right consistency simmer over a very low heat, be sure to remove any film or scum on top once again as these are the impurities in the stock. Cook it about 1/2 hour, during this time you add in your seasoning like some cayenne for a little kick, chalula hot sauce, a bit of sugar, slat, fresh ground white pepper some more Old Bey if needed, some diced roasted red pepper & whatever else you might like Worsc. sce? In a seperate pots I also reduce a cup of white wine and a cup of heavy cream add them in at the very end.

-This soup is best if made a day ahead as it will allow the flavours to meld together and come out. Don't forget to add the cooked meat in when you take it off the stove and it should be good to go.

*the rule of the ROUX- cold liquid to hot roux or Cold grated roux to hot liquid, this will resiult in a smoothe soup or sauce every time.

So there ya have it hope it comes out well for those of you that give it a shot Just rmember to add whatever yoo like to. Sometimes at work I also use a bit of base to give me a nice boost, not sure if you guys have access to this but it is a concentrated product made from lobster or shrimp. BON APPETITO!

Plus, more recipes here:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...Lobster+bisque

cwm27.gif My pleasure....I just happened to be around when you posted, and happened to remember Mark's recipe, and knew the right keywords to type in to find it in the search.

Only met Mark once, but he is(was?) a chef at a country club, and is known for his various bisques......

If you use the advanced search, and type in "Bisque" as a keyword, and type in MarkSharky (it might be Marksharky, as I think the search is case sensitive on member names), you will find various other posts by him on other types of bisques.

yeah i found some of those but i was kinda looking for maybe a more up to date recipe. one that way closer to what i was thinking of in my head. or 1 that someone didnt post yet.

im getting started now! will report back!!

i made a stock last night for crab meat bisque

went to get the crab meat and it wasn't in the fridge- then i remembered i brought it to somebody's house and left it there

here is what i did for the stock:

3 leeks, finely chopped

3 celery ribs, finely chopped

1 cup baby carrots finely chopped

in a large skillet that has a cover:

saute the leeks in butter and a bit of oil- add a splash of the stock you are using, cover and sweat a while

when translucent, add the celery and carrots and more broth if needed

after 10 minutes or so, add the stock, a bay leaf, freshly ground black pepper, some heat (i use sambal oolek, hot sauce will do) salt if needed depending on the stock- sometimes i add some saffron

cover tightly and simmer until things are quite soft

puree in a food processor

clean the pan and make a roux with butter and flour, cooking a few minutes but do not darken- maybe 2 or 3 tablespoons each of flour and butter

take most of the roux out and set it aside

add a little of the pureed stock and stir

do that a couple more times until you have a slightly thickened stock, adding only as much of the reserved roux as needed

at this point i had to go get some seafood- crab and lobster were too expensive, so i got a pound of raw shrimp and chopped it in the food processor

bring to a boil, correct the seasoning

stir in the seafood that you have made the size you want before adding- a mixture of small bits with a few chunks is usually nice

if using raw shrimp, stir it in and cook until just done

reduce the heat, add some medium dry sherry and freshly grated nutmeg

sprinkle a little paprika on top

serve with toasted rounds of french bread you have rubbed with a mashed garlic clove