Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Crank bait colors?

28 posts in this topic

It's no secret that after more than 52 years of SW fishing, I am now starting to get more serious about FW fishing. This is due to various reasons, which include the distance I now have to travel to SW since moving down here.

I have plenty of fairly good quality gear, lots of poppers, sluggos, stickbaits, frogs and jigs. I am now looking to purchase some shallow running crank baits, water is kind of choked here in South NJ, and was wondering what colors some of you FW sharpies prefer down here. I have always been partial to chartreuse/fire tiger in stained water and baby bass or perch in clearer water. Also, are there any particular brands/models you would recommend. I am thinking of baits that will dive to about 1 or maybe 2 feet on the retrieve.

I am also thinking of trying out some spinner baits. What kind of blades and what colors would you choose for the local waters of South NJ.

What are your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Spigsmile.gif

i typically only use 3 colors - white, firetiger, and some kind of chartreuse/sunny pattern. I do own a bunch of other color cranks, but find myself using those 3 colors more often than not.

I've had luck with lipless crankbaits like rattletraps with both bass and picks down this way. my favorite color is blue over an orange belly, seems to catch the most fish for me.having no lip and being a sinking lure, you can vary the depth by the drop. on a couple of occasions, I've had fish hit it on the drop, once as soon as it hit the water.

spinners I like chartreuse or white with a colorado blade for darker water and a willow for clear. I also like the colorado blade for slow rolling the bottom with a spinner.

cranks:

black over white

chartruse

firetiger

blue/sliver

rootbeer

rat-l-trap:

black/silver

blue/silver

smokey joe

crawfish

spinnerbaits:

white

chartruse

sunburst(red/orange/yellow)

blue/white

brown/yellow, or chart

Alway's had luck with these & I like them to swim a little depper 3'-5' ( Med. Divers worked best for me ) & fish them Slow! Also any of the Maan's,Bagley,Rebel Crank baits are good. You don't have to spend on big name's also. Check Walley World ,Target & K-mart. Yellow always worked for me.

I like the Cabelas Mini Dig It in the bluegill pattern. But I caught my biggest largemouth ever last summer just a hair over 5 lbs on a striper pattern, not sure what brand it was though. I fish both really slow, just fast enough to get it to wobble. For spinnerbaits I like a white or clear skirt with a single or double blade.

icon26.gif Natural colors work great in most situations especially here in SJ. Chartreuse is good in heavily stained to muddy waters. I prefer the Rapala DT series and Manns brand of cranks. Make sure you get cranks that dive down all the way to the bottom...dragging the bottom can really help you nail some big largemouth. For lipless cranks I prefer the Strike King series with some type of chartreuse or chrome color. For spinnerbaits I prefer white, black and some sort of white/chartreuse combo.

You have to have some manns baby -1 in the bag. Its about the only crank i fish in the shallow weed choked mud puddles Delaware has to offer. Get a firetiger and any other color. I have caught tons on every color in the bag.

I like most shiner and shad patterns maybe some olive or blue in there ocassionally for the cranks I have caught some fish on wacky colors though. The only bass I ever caught on a spinnerbait was a colorado blade so I can't say much on that matter colorado's provide more vibration and sipn slower while willows and indiana are faster spinning and produce somewhat less vibration.

View Posticon26.gif Natural colors work great in most situations especially here in SJ. Chartreuse is good in heavily stained to muddy waters. I prefer the Rapala DT series and Manns brand of cranks. Make sure you get cranks that dive down all the way to the bottom...dragging the bottom can really help you nail some big largemouth. For lipless cranks I prefer the Strike King series with some type of chartreuse or chrome color. For spinnerbaits I prefer white, black and some sort of white/chartreuse combo.

FD, I've seen some of your posts and know you catch some quality fish down here. I was thinking of shallow running cranks because of all the weed in the local waters. If I were to use the deeper running cranks, how would I keep them from getting fouled in the weed growth?confused.gif

Spig

View PostFD, I've seen some of your posts and know you catch some quality fish down here. I was thinking of shallow running cranks because of all the weed in the local waters. If I were to use the deeper running cranks, how would I keep them from getting fouled in the weed growth?confused.gif

Spig

No way out Lou. If your fishing a weeded area your going to get hung up using crank baits. I've been fishing them for years. You want to use them in rocky area & along edges. Weeds, go with the rubber worms & if weeds are not coming out or on top of the water use top water baits.( Spooks, Jitter bug's ETC Depending how thick the weeds are you may gt away with a spinner bait or a spoon.

Google "SOB lures" for some truly amazing handmade spinner baits. I especially like their "mini-me" model; unique, low-profile, compact presentation - good for dense cover.