Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Onelastcast

When do we start looking for Bombers and not just bomb?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Help me out, I just don't get it. I am really having a hard time with grandma being scrutinized as intently as someone who fits the profile of an enemy combatant at security screening facilities. We profile serial killers, rapist, smart kids in school, etc etc...

Why should this be any different, If someone that look like me was a possible danger to society, I would welcome the extra scrutiny.

Your title is a bit misleading.

I wouldn't worry that we are not profiling. We may not admit it, but we are, and correctly so. The fact of it may be disguised by PR chatter about databases and such, but you can guarantee that anyone coming through the gate who speaks Arabic gets a good deal more attention.

If you meant that we are overfocused on gadgets at the expense of people-watching, well, I'd agree with that too.

View PostYour title is a bit misleading.

I wouldn't worry that we are not profiling. We may not admit it, but we are, and correctly so. The fact of it may be disguised by PR chatter about databases and such, but you can guarantee that anyone coming through the gate who speaks Arabic gets a good deal more attention.

If you meant that we are overfocused on gadgets at the expense of people-watching, well, I'd agree with that too.

Brian,

You are right on target with my intent. My point (in football terms) is that we need to concentrate more on the running back and not just the football. I was puzzled about the absence of any responses. highfive.gif for the feedback. Many times what we write doesn't really project what we intended to state.

James

View PostBrian,

You are right on target with my intent. My point (in football terms) is that we need to concentrate more on the running back and not just the football. I was puzzled about the absence of any responses. highfive.gif for the feedback. Many times what we write doesn't really project what we intended to state.

James

Pres. Obama stated we'd be stepping up racial profiling last week. There were a bunch of comments here about it. The Islamic groups areup in arms about it. Been in all the papers, that may account for the lack of responses.

Why focus on Saudis and Yeminis? American citizens have granted the Federal Govt carte blanche to do what ever they wish in pursuit of the war on terror.

Thou dost protest too much.

you mean here or in Iraq and Afghanistan?

a major tool against battling IED's is to go directly after the bomb-makers.

i think you have to have a few IED's go off here before that happens. headscratch.gif

The title of the post is indeed misleading. Not sure what you're inferrence is to be meant by "just bomb"[ing]. If you'd like to lay out your experience with the process of kinetic strikes: the targeting; the CDE; Bugsplat; approach;fuzing;angles;ordnance, etc - maybe we could have an intelligent discussion.

It is rapidly becoming OBE however, as we have transitioned from a law of war model (actually fighting a damned war) to a law enforcement model in BOTH counties.

View PostThe title of the post is indeed misleading. Not sure what you're inferrence is to be meant by "just bomb"[ing]. If you'd like to lay out your experience with the process of kinetic strikes: the targeting; the CDE; Bugsplat; approach;fuzing;angles;ordnance, etc - maybe we could have an intelligent discussion.

It is rapidly becoming OBE however, as we have transitioned from a law of war model (actually fighting a damned war) to a law enforcement model in BOTH counties.

Hopefully that title editing helped.

What bothers me is that we need to stop being so politically correct and start paying extra attention to people that fit certain behavioral profiles. Stop wasting time on grandma and spend more time on people that fit certain criteria's. After 8 years of going through airport scrutiny I resentmad.gif the fact that the panty bomber walked right through.

The problem is that as soon as you start overrelying on racial profilling, the terrorists will use people of Bosnian or Chechen heritage to accomplish their aims.

If you're only looking for Arabs, Pakistanis or Afghans, you won't even see it comming.

View PostThe problem is that as soon as you start overrelying on racial profilling, the terrorists will use people of Bosnian or Chechen heritage to accomplish their aims.

If you're only looking for Arabs, Pakistanis or Afghans, you won't even see it comming.

i wonder if plane bombers will start working in pairs- a clean one with a cell phone, and the explosive one with a bunch of c-4 up his butt

dial the right number and boom

View PostThe problem is that as soon as you start overrelying on racial profilling, the terrorists will use people of Bosnian or Chechen heritage to accomplish their aims.

We shouldn't over rely on racial profiling. Grandma from Indiana shouldn't be scrutinized at screening sites, if she doesn't fit the profile of would be bombers. Nothing is fool proof we'll adapt as needed. With this latest security gaff, it appears that we are protecting ourselves from each other. Wasting to much time on grandma and not enough on people fitting description of those wanting to hurt is a smoke screen.

Train people to profile certain behaviorial patterns, pull people out of line and interview them, especially those travelling to and from certain hostile countries. That includes American citizens of all colors and shapes. If screeners are to busy searching for nail clippers and shampoo, you are going to miss the big stuff.

Dogboy's post reminds me of something ... surgically implanted bombs. One bomb carrier, preferably a man with a big recent weight loss so that a more-or-less pancake shaped package, including a reciever/detonator, would fill up the lose skin; one guy on the ground who makes a phone call as he sees the plane arrive overhead. You could hide a lot more in a formerly fat guy then in women's breast implants.

Heck, eliminate the guy on the ground. Let the signal be given at takeoff, and start a timer running. Eliminate one more possible security failure.

View PostThe title of the post is indeed misleading. Not sure what you're inferrence is to be meant by "just bomb"[ing]. If you'd like to lay out your experience with the process of kinetic strikes: the targeting; the CDE; Bugsplat; approach;fuzing;angles;ordnance, etc - maybe we could have an intelligent discussion.

Maybe if you could read we would have an intelligent conversation. Yes,the title may have been misleading, but the posts are pretty clear, if you read them you would know that. Do you just read headlines on newspapers? Who bestowed a crown on you to decide what's intelligent or not? The high perception you have of yourself?

This thread has nothing to do with "kinetic strikes: the targeting; the CDE; Bugsplat; approach;fuzing;angles;ordnance, etc" which you are pompously trying to impress others with your knowledge of.

I am merely trying to have a discussion on how we need to focus more attention on would be bombers than just security screening for bombs. If my delivery was off or if this topic or discussion is beneath your intelligence level find another that suits you better, your suttle indirect insults will not be tolerated. The last person I need to be corrected by is you, save that for your wife, children, girlfriend, boyfriend and whoever.smile.gif