Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

Underemployed? What the hell is that stupidity?

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

View PostPeople crying they aren't making the bucks they used to.

IE: People living beyond their means are still completely blind to this fact.

Seriously, if unemployment measured by the number of asses pushing the turnstile at the unemployment office, where does this number come from? Some kind of poll?

The gummit won't allow me to be unemployed, but I can say I have made less than I wanted on several gigs. Can I be underemployed?

View PostSeriously, if unemployment measured by the number of asses pushing the turnstile at the unemployment office, where does this number come from? Some kind of poll?

The gummit won't allow me to be unemployed, but I can say I have made less than I wanted on several gigs. Can I be underemployed?

Yes, you too can whine that you're not making a kabillion spacebucks.

little it is really easy. lets say you were working one job and lets say you made 50K. lets stipulate that that 50K was enough for you to support your family without your wife working then your laid off. the only job you can get now is a 30k job. I consider that under employed.

View Postlittle it is really easy. lets say you were working one job and lets say you made 50K. lets stipulate that that 50K was enough for you to support your family without your wife working then your laid off. the only job you can get now is a 30k job. I consider that under employed.

who decides what's enough money to support your family?

the government?

View Postwho decides what's enough money to support your family?

the government?

Its a simple formula, how big an LCD tv you can afford.

If inches = <42" its enough

If inches = >42" its not enough

I have a feeling there are a lot of pencil pushers sitting in there cubical's that are going to find out what underemployment is very shortly.

The Chinese are gearing up, another 100 millions to the factories and the offices within the next 10 years, not to mention the Indians and others.

We will see in a few years how people feel.

No one cared to much when the lower middle class blue collar stiffs job was sent overseas, we will see what happens when the educated upper middle class are lining up at Mcdonalds to apply for a job.

View Postlittle it is really easy. lets say you were working one job and lets say you made 50K. lets stipulate that that 50K was enough for you to support your family without your wife working then your laid off. the only job you can get now is a 30k job. I consider that under employed.

So this person deserves 50k, just because thats what he once made? I don't get that. It sounds like a BS statistic to me.

View PostSo this person deserves 50k, just because thats what he once made? I don't get that. It sounds like a BS statistic to me.

Thats because it is a BS statistic.

People don't understand the market controls the salaries and think what they used to make is what they should make now even though most companies are cost cutting heavily and once they get to a certain point its time for salaries to take a cut.

But obviously making the same or even more is FAR more important than having a job period.

View PostIts a simple formula, how big an LCD tv you can afford.

If inches = <42" its enough

If inches = >42" its not enough

it's very simple I spend $x for food $x for utilities and $x for a place to live and $x for the other stuff. I can reduce or eliminate the other stuff. I can downsize where I live if I currently live in a Mc Mansion which will probably reduce my my utilities.

In my case I live within my means and the only big expense I have is a $200K mortgage. on a $320K home. but if I lost my job and had to settle for a lower paying job (first I would get a second job) but then I would do what ever I could to reduce the other stuff. get rid of cable lose the Internet and even be more selective on where what and when I buy my food. the thing is I would still be under employed.

$x food

$x utilities

$x home

$x other stuff (TV,computer Cable and car)

$xxx budget

View PostSo this person deserves 50k, just because thats what he once made? I don't get that. It sounds like a BS statistic to me.

is it a deserve or a need. in Boston or New York 50K is not enough to live on. but in Midwest city Oklahoma. you would be all set. I used the 50K as an example. the person could well have to live on 40K but now he needs to find a way to do it with 30K. I figure if you were working at 50K and were laid off and now make 30K then yes you are under employed. if you left your job volenteraly and took a 30K job intentional then you are not under employed

Underemployment typically means people who are working P/T because they can't find F/T work. The BLS uses questionnaires to estimate that number of people. The figures for "unemployed" typically count only those who are unemployed and still looking; there's another stat that counts those who are working only P/T because they can't get F/T, and those who are "discouraged" by long inability to find work and have stopped looking. The latter figure is around 17% nationwide right now, I think.

None of this has anything to do with what you're paid, or whether you'd like more. Statistics have been kept in this fashion for a long time; it's not some new horrible thing invented by the Obama Administration as a part of a secret plot to Islamicize America.

Little, what's the problem you see with the idea of "underemployment?"

A colleague's teenage son had some thoughtful comments recently - he thinks his P/T job at McDonald's is fine for him, but he feels sorry for the middle-aged and older guys who are now making up a lot of staff, standing up at the counter with kids and a mortgage to support, and only able to get P/T work.

It's when you have to take a job for which you are over qaulified for. For example a manager in a business that has decided to eliminate your position leaving you to find another job. Then the only other job you could find might be waiter at a restaurant or some other job which is deemed to be below your level of education and experience.