Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sorethumb

Acrylic paints

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Do you guys use liquidtex to thin the craft store paints or water or some other combo My badger 150 just splatters no matter what I do with it. it does it w/ createx also, broke it down soaked and cleaned it tried diff. air pressures different tip sizes from fine to large new needles just about everything I found online but it just still splatters any ideas or should I just toss it Iwata seems to be the favorite amongst everyone from what I have searched.Forget details w/this brush it can't lay down a solid color w/o splatters.Thanks for any help.

anytime I get spatters.... I make sure the vent in the bottle is clear, brush is super clean inside even make sure there is no build up on the needle and that it moves freely,,, also if the paint is thick then I thin and strain it,,,,

That was the first air brush I purchased,and i went through the same thing that you explained. I was ready to say air brushing is a lot more difficult than i had thought ,and not worth the trouble. I decided to give it one more shot returned that one and got a cresendo. Like night and day. Figure I would share thatsmile.gif with you. Good luck ,and tight lines

I had a Badger that did the same thing and it was usually because the paint was too thick. The paint should be the consistency of milk. If it's mixed properly, I would check to see if the tip of the needle is straight and also check to see if the tip itself is not cracked or distorted. You have to keep in mind that the tips are chrome plated brass and are relatively soft. If the needle isn't adjusted correctly, it could push too far into the tip and damage the end. Also, too low pressure will also cause splattering. Good luck.

what bassnuts said...too low pressure can make the paint splatter out of the end in drops...test shoot the gun on scrap paper before the lure...clean the bottle nozzles for buildup residue..you can use ss wire...keep the vent cap hole clear [paperclip end] ....beers.gif

Be gentle with the needle in the brass end cap...dont snap it back and forth when not using it or it can damage the opening...

One main thing that causes splatters is that air brush. Is that the $20 one at AC Moore and Michael's? I have one of them that I thought I could use to spray 1st coat boy was I mistaken-what a piece of crap. My other brush is a Iwata HP CS and I love it. An awesome brush and best bang for your buck is a Devilbiss Dagr. It is still over $100 but about the same brush as Iwata's twice the price. Most places were sold out of it due to xmas but they should be getting in stock soon. I know tcpglobal.com carries them