Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whtkdtn1401

For the Winter Snook...

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Do you guys prefer soft, hard plastic lure, or live bait??

If you prefer soft lure, what do you use?

If you prefer hard plastic lure, what do you use? (ex. topwater, crankbait...etc...)

Thank you very much smile.gif

Soft plastic is my favorite, I like the 5" Tsunami pearl with a black spot

my second choice is a bucktail,

large live shrimp and a Hook Up jig is deadly combo

View PostDo you guys prefer soft, hard plastic lure, or live bait??

If you prefer soft lure, what do you use?

If you prefer hard plastic lure, what do you use? (ex. topwater, crankbait...etc...)

Thank you very much smile.gif

Winter Snooking can be very difficult...the water is cold....fish dont readily eat when it is cold....you best bet to tangle with a Snook this time of year is to use LIVE BAIT...something high in calories...makes the Snook take a second look and might...just might take your bait

Winter snook down here in florida are really easy to target in winter all you do just go to an inlet/jetty with live shrimp and a 3/8oz jig head and let it go it the current and hold on because snook would be a catch but also others too. I once got a 8pound mutton that way off a jetty. And plenty big winter time snook. GOOD LUCK.

View PostWinter snook down here in florida are really easy to target in winter all you do just go to an inlet/jetty with live shrimp and a 3/8oz jig head and let it go it the current and hold on because snook would be a catch but also others too. I once got a 8pound mutton that way off a jetty. And plenty big winter time snook. GOOD LUCK.

You can drift them on a float as well (dead drift almost like trout fishing).

I always used either hand picked or jumbo shrimp over the regular size. It'll cull out the larger fish and keep you from getting chewed off by small snappers and grunts. It'll also help target the larger mangrove snappers and sheepshead.

View PostYou can drift them on a float as well (dead drift almost like trout fishing).

I always used either hand picked or jumbo shrimp over the regular size. It'll cull out the larger fish and keep you from getting chewed off by small snappers and grunts. It'll also help target the larger mangrove snappers and sheepshead.

Great info. Thanks for starting this thread wht... I'm going to Ft. Laud area in Feb. and I plan to try these tips out!

View PostYou can drift them on a float as well (dead drift almost like trout fishing).

I've seen under slot snook caught on 9" striped mullet, you're not going to "cull out" much with a 5" shrimp.

If you plan on drifting a jetty over the winter months, arti's will out produce bait 4/1. Bucktails/swimbaits, it doesn't matter. A profile is a profile, and they don't care what color it is, or what it smell like, as long as you drift it right in front of their face. You can cover more water, catch more fish, and you won't be in everybodys way.

Drifting a cork at the jetty isn't going to make you any friends.

We've also had massive fish kills this week due to the weather. The water temp in Moosquito lagoon was 41 degrees yesterday. Anything under 59 degrees will kill a snook.

The cold spell that we are having now....more then likely you will be able

to nip net them (against the law)

But they will be floating up or moving really slow on top of the water, they

won't even be thinking about eating...

Wait till it warms up a bit and then go winter snooking, and the main thing

with winter fishing down here...

Down size whatever you use (lure/bait) and move it SLOW!!!...and just when you think you are slow enough...

SlOW it down even more....

As far as it been easy to fish for snooks in the past during the wintercwm27.gif

Heres your sign...cwm15.gif

Fortunately, around next week will start to warm up again up to low 70's

Thank you all for the great information

But I was wondering about that are there really snooks around jetties during winter time?

I didn't know that the snook stay around jetties during the winter time tho I thought they hang around like... backwater, mangroves, inlets, and brakish water you know like the shallow water places... Or is jetty counts as shallow water place?

How about snappers during the winter time on jetties, When I went Venice jetty, FL, I saw lots of mangrove snappers during the summer time and they were all hiding among between rocks. I heard that the snappers migrate to offshore during the winter time. Is that true?

Or whatelse can I catch during the winter time around jetties?

(Honestly, I never really went fishing during winter time redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif )

biggrin.gif I wish I was there on that picture biggrin.gif

I mainly spend most of my spare time on fishing during summer and pretty much never really went fishing during the late winter time.

On wed, one of my friend caught 40in snook and he makes me so jealous!! haha cwm27.gifcwm27.gif

I tried ask him for the spot well request got denied biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif