Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roadrunner

Is Obama 'overreacting' to Al Qaeda?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Overreacting? true to Teds point in the video he is now over reacting due to public pressure and his own on the job training. This particuler event was a cluster from the get go, and even after the underwear bomber- it continued to reflect badly on us.

I said once, I'll say it again our enemy is slippery and once all security measures are exhausted on planes- they'll just move to something else like crowded hotels, conventions, mass transits. and then likely return to planes once our guard is lowered.

stop looking for bombs instead look for people.

View PostI've always felt that Ted Koppel was a cut above the rest, and this short snippet goes a long way in explaining why:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ca/8447399.stm

Al Queda could not have been more successful if they had been successful. cwm13.gif

When will we learn that panic mode means they've won. headscratch.giffrown.gif

RR,

We've been panicking for the past 8 years. Every news outlet which rushed to show the dead in Iraq and gleefully counted the number of dead U.S. soldiers. Every charge of war criminal, every Abu Graib, every Haditha, every dead civilian in Afgan (whether it could be proved or not), etc., etc.

They are all part of the same American tendency to politicize, debate, scream and yell and publish every point of view, valid or not.

I've said before, I don't blame Che Obama for this attack (because it started in Europe) or Ft. Hood (because the guy was IN THE U.S. ARMY) but I do blame him for an "attitude" which I think will do us long term harm.

Bush was active agressive against terror; Obama is kind of passive agressive if you get what I am saying.

View PostRR,

We've been panicking for the past 8 years. Every news outlet which rushed to show the dead in Iraq and gleefully counted the number of dead U.S. soldiers. Every charge of war criminal, every Abu Graib, every Haditha, every dead civilian in Afgan (whether it could be proved or not), etc., etc.

They are all part of the same American tendency to politicize, debate, scream and yell and publish every point of view, valid or not.

I've said before, I don't blame Che Obama for this attack (because it started in Europe) or Ft. Hood (because the guy was IN THE U.S. ARMY) but I do blame him for an "attitude" which I think will do us long term harm.

Bush was active agressive against terror; Obama is kind of passive agressive if you get what I am saying.

True. But at least we don't have to hear the cumulitive body count of American soldiers every day any more. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that the media was playing politics with it since their obsession with the US fatalities completely disappeared after Obama won the election.

RW,

I've said this before. You won't see a body count of American dead coming out of the media as long as Che is CIC. And they will turn their back on any "atrocity" in Afgan unless they can't help it (say Euro or Indian news gets a hold of something bad and trumpets it).

With Che Obama and the MSM, as much as they can get away with, everything will be sweetness and light.

Let's see .... the AfPak theater is suddenly getting the resources it didn't get for most of President Bush's term. The fighting's rising in intensity. The Pakistani military is more active then it's ever been against the radicals in the Border Provinces, American intelligence and aircraft have assaulted radicals in Yemen. This qualifies as passive aggression on Obama's part. President Bush's snipe hunt for Iraqi WOMD - that's what a real man would do.

No one cried harder over the end of the Bush Administration then Osama bin Laden. The heat is on al-Queda in Afghanistan as it hasn't been since we went to war in Iraq. This President has gotten more done on the Pakistani side of the border then his predecessor ever did (although, to be fair, he's the beneficiary of the expansion of the war by the Pakistani Taliban; that changed Pakistan's view of its' own interests.) But it's the attitude that counts, not the action. A rising flood of American manpower and resources deployed directly against bin Laden and Mullah Omar doesn't mean anything, what the Republican faithful want is that bring-it-on rhetoric.

P.S. I don't know where you guys look for information, but I can't pick up the paper without seeing casualties discussed.

View PostTrue. But at least we don't have to hear the cumulitive body count of American soldiers every day any more. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that the media was playing politics with it since their obsession with the US fatalities completely disappeared after Obama won the election.

If I didn't know any better, those dead soldiers came back to life since the election.

View PostLet's see .... the AfPak theater is suddenly getting the resources it didn't get for most of President Bush's term. The fighting's rising in intensity. The Pakistani military is more active then it's ever been against the radicals in the Border Provinces, American intelligence and aircraft have assaulted radicals in Yemen. This qualifies as passive aggression on Obama's part. President Bush's snipe hunt for Iraqi WOMD - that's what a real man would do.

No one cried harder over the end of the Bush Administration then Osama bin Laden. The heat is on al-Queda in Afghanistan as it hasn't been since we went to war in Iraq. This President has gotten more done on the Pakistani side of the border then his predecessor ever did (although, to be fair, he's the beneficiary of the expansion of the war by the Pakistani Taliban; that changed Pakistan's view of its' own interests.) But it's the attitude that counts, not the action. A rising flood of American manpower and resources deployed directly against bin Laden and Mullah Omar doesn't mean anything, what the Republican faithful want is that bring-it-on rhetoric.

P.S. I don't know where you guys look for information, but I can't pick up the paper without seeing casualties discussed.

Brian...I think a big part of any success Obama has had is largely due to the change in attitude in American people. The left has gotten very quite with Obama in office regarding deaths, military spending, troop deployment etc, etc. Nowhere near the volume prior. Sadly this nation has become somewhat NUMB to it all IMO. Something the Bush admin didn't enjoy.

The effectiveness of our military technology has also played a big part. Unmanned drones are now playing a very large part in our offense making the effort and its effects somewhat STERILE due to their swift, quiet, "non human" effectivness.

View PostLet's see .... the AfPak theater is suddenly getting the resources it didn't get for most of President Bush's term. The fighting's rising in intensity. The Pakistani military is more active then it's ever been against the radicals in the Border Provinces, American intelligence and aircraft have assaulted radicals in Yemen. This qualifies as passive aggression on Obama's part. President Bush's snipe hunt for Iraqi WOMD - that's what a real man would do.

Careful with your spin in this icy weather, Brian. When was the last time you saw a daily body count? I remember barely restrained glee that came disguised as concern when another 'thousand' milestone was raised.

The drone war was initiated by the Bush administration and his predecessor has yet to dismantle the intelligence structure that makes it effective. Most of us here are Americans first and political persuasion comes second. Let's hope Pakistan is brought under control.

Brian your ass kissing of BHO is laughable, borderline delusional, I guess its a self-coping mechanism for the weak minded who can NOT ADMIT THEY MADE A MISTAKE BY VOTING FOR AN INEXPERIENCED MARXIST/AMERICAN APOLOGIST.

Brian you forgot to mention the infiltration of AQ as one of us. First as a regular citizen suddenly attacking a military recruiting station, then as a COMMISIONED officer in the US Army who served on BHO's homeland security transition team shooting up an Army base while wearing muslim garb, then a 'normal,' passenger suddenly coming a **** hair close to blowing up an airliner over Detroit, and finally an attack on our CIA by either an informant or double agent (as yeat to be determined-forever classifeid).

Don't forget those major Obama accomplishments. It only took him 11 2/3 months to realize we ARE ENGAGED IN A FIGHT/ A WAR WITH AQ.

How long before he realizes it is not just AQ, but radical muslims everywhere.

Radical muslims and the rest of the world community that see him as NUTSO ---reffering to terrorists as individual operators, overseas contingency operations, man - caused disasters, bringing military enemy combatant prisoner to NYC and giving them the most envied personal rights/freedoms in the world, apologizing around the world time and again for American sacrifice and exceptionalism, having a homeland security chief who's idea of a succesful system is an engineering failure on the part of our enemies bomb makers????

The part of the world that is not laughing at him is busy either shaking in fear or shaking him down for cash for "ruining,"their environment (shake down payments that will UNDOUBTEDLY go to the ruling classes in those countries and do nothing to free the poor).

The countries that own our debt are concerned that he is spending money out of control. How long before they cut off the money supply?

What is Obama going to do about Ahmindinjad spitting in his face over the nuclear weapons that Obama demanded be stopped by 1/1/10?

I would say nothing and wager Obama is THANKFUL the underwear bomber has provided a distraction to the fact that Obama is GOING TO ALLOW IRAN TO ARM THEMSELVES WITH BALLISTIC NUCLEAR MISSILES. I hope you and all of your Obama voting friends, families and kids sleep well at night knowing what a ***** you put in the WH.

Obama claimed he was going to make the world repect the USA. That is the most arrogant and terriible thing to say. It is like spitting on the graves of EVERY US serviceman that has ever died defending the cause of freedom, not just here, but around the world.

The world does not respect Obama. Which is fine, I learned growing up in NYC that respect is one thing , being feared is another. If you are feared nobody ****s with you so respect really doesn't matter anymore.

Worse yet they do not fear him and see him as a pushover.

How long before, they punch him in the face, take his money, watch, jewlery and sneakers (a NYC metaphor if you will).