Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VipClubber

Specific Question about Fishing a Middle Water Column?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have a specific question regarding fishing in the middle water column?

If Stripers don't feed on top of the water and they dont feed on the bottom

what is the strategy and what lures I should be considering using fishing in between?

When are stripers usually feed in the middle water column and what are the go to lures? How do you work em?

Thanks in advance

confused.gif

I can't really remember coming across this circumstance. I tried to think of ways it could happen, and came up with 2.

1) There are bigger fish under the stripers in the middle of the water column, pushing the smaller ones up, in which case I would fish the bottom trying for the bigger fish.

2) They are on bait that is schooling in the middle of the water column, in which case I would try to match whatever they are chasing.

Maybe others can chime in with more input.

Use darters, tins with decent retrieve (depending on the metal you're throwing), bombers, lighter bucktails, needles, danny's....

Anything that isn't on the bottom(heavy) or top(poppers and such) is pretty much "mid-water".

So it looks like the Striper feeding habits directly depend on the bait they are feeding on? I figured that it would be odd fishing the middle usually they feed the top or the bottom of the water column and that is another mystery to determine which one. As far as plugs consern, what are most succesfull plugs for the middle?

Darters, as suggested, seem like a weapon for the bottom and I have problems fishing them because they require specific condition and stronger currents. I have yet coaught anything on the darter. Everytime I make any retrieve my darter is plowing the bottom collecting seaweed. What am i doing wrong?

confused.gif

View Post

Darters, as suggested, seem like a weapon for the bottom and I have problems fishing them because they require specific condition and stronger currents. I have yet coaught anything on the darter. Everytime I make any retrieve my darter is plowing the bottom collecting seaweed. What am i doing wrong?

confused.gif

Not true!!cwm15.gif One of the reasons SS Darters are so favored at M is the fact that they do not go all that deep. Many Montauk vets will change the front hook to a 4/0 to get more dig. Some even load SS darters. Stronger currents are not needed for darters to produce.

"Middle" is relative. How deep is the water. If you are targeting a boulder field in 12 to 15 feet of water, your "middle" is going to be very different from the seam in the inlet rip where the depth 25 feet. My "upper middle" plugs for one spot might plow sand at another.