Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tagger

Hey Grouchy Pants !! Help ...

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I need a soldering lesson .. I want to do some hangers like on a JH Wiglet,, or Gamsby Wiglet.. Do i need a special soldering iron to do this ? I have the type iron for soldering wires ? I imagine myself dripping flux and solder all over a freshly painted plug .. thanks in advance ..

I was looking at these type plugs with the cotter pins before. Do you think they might have soldered them first and coated the solder with something like oil then painted? Can't imagine putting all that heat up there and not ruining the finish. Just a thought.kooky.gif

View PostI was looking at these type plugs with the cotter pins before. Do you think they might have soldered them first and coated the solder with something like oil then painted? Can't imagine putting all that heat up there and not ruining the finish. Just a thought.kooky.gif

I bet you a bag of doughnuts thats it ,,, couldn't think of that .. headscratch.gif

brass gromets..2.on top....one in the plug is a hair larger then the one you solder too so the smaller one you solder to slip onto the one in the wood itself...only one in the bottom

brass cotter pins

rosin core solder....heavy thread size in dia....thinner then a 1/16th

any soldering gun will work as long as it has a nice POINT on it...fat doesn't work well.

the thought of having one gromet slip into another on top was ment to act as a washer and the c-pin could have a chance to swivel, but it rarely worked.

don't worry about the pin getting in the way of through wire if your through hole is of the 5/32 dia....the wire will get around the pin.