Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BranfordJeff

What makes whales

Rate this topic

261 posts in this topic

View PostI can't speak for everyone Jeff, so I won't pretend to...

Soooo, personally, I think whales are pretty awesome creatures, mysterious even. We really know so little about some of the largest creatures on earth. They're pretty awe-inspiring (to me) and I guess with my own values and stuff, you just don't kill what awes you.

Others see them and see a food source. To each their own I suppose.

wink.gif

So are horses, sharks, seals, horseshoe crabs, bunker and several other creatures to me, but what places them in sacred territory?

sorry jeff, i edited while you were answering. in my opinion, i think it's because we know more about horseshoe crabs, horses, etc...

and i think a lot of folks just jump on whatever bandwagon is nearby and want to "Save" something... so might as well be whales.

some people wanna save the freaking seals. rolleyes.gif

View Post

Could be an inquisitive thing. I mean, we know when/where/how minks live/die/reproduce, etc... we don't know all of that about the whales... and I would hate to see something that is here right now at the same time that we humans are be killed off before we know more about them. I know, I'm a weird one that way.cwm27.gif

Post 2, to catch the edit:

We know way more about whale reproduction and their lives than we do bunker (menhaden).

I'm not talking about the amount of killing, as in hunting them to extinction, I'm talking about the visceral reaction to killing a single one. Guys who would have no problem hunting deer get near-ill knowing a whale is getting harvested. The sacredness thing is what I don't get. Why?

It just seems all so hypocritical.

There is nothing particularly special about whales. They're probably about as smart as most mammals, I'd bet wolves and coyotes have them beat.

The Japanese hunt mostly Minke's and their population is in no way in danger, in fact it could easily support a much larger harvest from what I read.

Doesn't matter though, they're viewed as special and I'd bet the "Scientific" Harvest will end within a few years regardless of the facts.

Before I can offer an opinion I need to try a steak, with maybe a side of rice, a splash of whale au jus, a bit of lightly grilled asparagus on the side...........

What kind of wine goes with whale headscratch.gif

DAMN, now I'm hungry.

View PostIt's a stupid question. Man has no affect on anything.

It's only a stupid question to an ignorant fool. And nobody other than you made any kind of claim that mankind has no effect on anything. kooky.gif

it's just human nature.

you can't really explain it.

religion is sacred to some. try to kill it and see the reaction you get.

nature is sacred to some. same as above.

it just IS.

View PostBefore I can offer an opinion I need to try a steak, with maybe a side of rice, a splash of whale au jus, a bit of lightly grilled asparagus on the side...........

DAMN, now I'm hungry.

It's OK, but certainly no better than a decent steak.

View PostBefore I can offer an opinion I need to try a steak, with maybe a side of rice, a splash of whale au jus, a bit of lightly grilled asparagus on the side...........

DAMN, now I'm hungry.

if the whale meat makes your pee smell funny, too... i'd hate to be near your bathroom the next morning.

I don;t think they are sacred .

Pretty cool creatures I wouldn't like to see eradicated

Gubment says whales wuz dwindling(numbers) 'n' convinced other gubments whaling is taboooooo . All agreed .

Japknees do research for new wayz to cook whales ,after the tabooooo agreement .

Whaling anti-sacred I dunno . headscratch.gif

Whale (numbers) going up ...who knows . headscratch.gif

Taboooo agreements loopholes causes high seas treachery .kooky.gif

View Postit's just human nature.

you can't really explain it.

religion is sacred to some. try to kill it and see the reaction you get.

nature is sacred to some. same as above.

it just IS.

So it's an emotional thing? No logic, no reason? No good answer?

I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to be clear.