Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John M

Winter Fling Part 2

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So what might be around for us to catch? Well there will be bass of course, they don't get real thick, but they get real big smile.gif I heard many reports of bass over 50 inches last year at that time of the year. There will most likely be a drum or two around. I heard of BIG drum running with the bass last winter. There will also be some puppy drum about. Also Speckled trout. Similar to our weakfish, fun to catch good to eat smile.gif

Okay so assuming that you made it to the winter fling the weather is okay how can we fish? The game on the point is 8 and bait. Away from the point it can be lighter weights or heavier weights depending on conditions. There is alot of bait fishing down there, and it produces BIG BIG fish. There are also other options. Plugging is an option, I have done very well on bass, specks, and puppy/yearling drum on tins, swimmers and teasers. There is eeling also, whenever the bass are around eels will work smile.gif I am not sure about fly rodding. I know a spot that flyrods would work but its pretty small. There is not a lot of flyroding going on down there.

Okay what about tackle? Well A heaver for 8 and bait. a good stoudt rod that will toss 8 and a hunk of bunker. Smaller bait rods for close in stuff with lighter weights. The usual suspects for plugging and eeling should work, they work for me smile.gif

SO you heard that you have to throw 200 yards to get into fish. Well its sorta true. No one is chucking any thing 200 yards unless its a tail wind. If you can throw 8and bait 75 yard you shoudl score if the fish are there. Sometimes a very long cast is needed, sometimes the fish are in close........it all depends.

SO the question is do we have interest in

going down there? If so how many of us are interested? Any questions let me know. Also I would ask any of my southern friends chime in with anything I got wrong or missed.

I will be able answer any questions this afternoon or next week, were leaving for Hatteras after work biggrin.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

You are sick my friend...We haven't even left for this trip and your already talking about another one.....

All I have to say is I'm there...I'll go any place where an opportunity to catch 50" bass be it wetsuiting Montauk to 8 and bait on the Point.

Let me just say this as well....I call "shotgun" for the passenger seat in the truck.

See you at 6....

Phil L

I'll be there.

John is correct- keep the date open to change as that time of year can and does bring strong Nor'easters that will have the beaches unfishable and possibly the road back out blocked. However, it can be great weather too, almost too good. No one should have a problem finding a room.

If your gonna fish Pea Island at night, you need to get a permit- free of charge but you gotta get a lecture from the Fisheries Dept., takes about 1 hr. Otherwise, there are plenty of beaches to fish and all are free access.

Everything else, John is right on....conditions can be tough, the fish will be there- you just have to work for them. Sometimes it pays off...sometimes it don't, but when it does it will be a good sized fish. smile.gif Right Phil? biggrin.gif

See ya,

B. Myers

Drum fishing certaninly for the impatient...I kinda lost all hope on Sat night... At least we saw drum....

You know what I heard????? There's bass up OI....

Phil L

John...sent you an e-mail. At the last moment I decided to not go this past weekend because of the strong northerly winds that were predicted. But it sounds like there was some action... I stayed closer to home and went to Assateague Island...

I plan on attending this Winter Fling... One issue for sure is the weather. Unfortunately, planning ahead is risky and waiting until the last moment to go will not work because of the short notice for most fellows... From a fishing standpoint, well the past 5 years have found Stripers around at different times... Three years ago the Stripers were thick starting in late November and disappeared after mid January.

Last year they showed in mid December; were thin in January for the most part; and then made an usual, but phenomenal showing in February when some real bruisers appeared in decent numbers to over 50"...

I would say the window of opportunity is rather wide from December right through Febraury...even in March they are taken in the surf at times...

The strongest tides for the OBX will happen in early January. This could be real good for the Striper fishing, but with certain winds it could also be unfishable...

img00011.gifimg00013.gifhttp://www.geocities.com/rumble_fish1/img00012.gif[/img

Poppy, I am sorta leaning towards the earlier part of the window mid January, But I need to huddle up with Management and talk some dates, (answer my email Tim smile.gif) The run they had last year in Feb was pretty good all those HUGE stripers and drum mixed together, I got the call about the fish but couldnt go frown.gif as our daughter was pretty close to arrivng then smile.gif if they are in like that agian I am there.......

My thinking was that if we pick a date in mid jan. if we need to reschedule we have 6 weeks or so to work with........December is always busy with the holidays and the fishing up here is good, so thats out unless the troops wanna do it.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com