Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WahooJames

Casting w/ Surf Bag

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I use a small Canyon surf bag, that I would consider to be moderately stuffed (not a lot of heavy jigs or anything, but full).

I find that wearing this bag really hurts my casting form. confused.gif This is compounded in the cold weather when I also have a bulky jacket on.

I am a righty, and I wear the bag on my right side, in the back. Strap is over my left shoulder.

I basically keep the bag on my right butt-cheek moon.gif I find that it swings a little bit when I cast and I end up not having as smooth of a stroke cwm13.gif as I do when I am not carrying it. Last night I made some casts and struggled-- but once I took the bag off, I was hammering it out there.

Could it be that I have the strap too loose? Or would i be better off wearing it on my belt?

Any advice at all will be helpful.

i cast on with my right arm and keep my bag on my left towards my back so it doesnt interfer with my elbow or arm motion while casting. i dont even notice my bag most of the time and its pretty laoded, it one of those plain old green army looking bags and i have two plano organizer boxes with everything! lead, bait rigs, sabiki's, snag hooks, poppers, bombers, plastics, bucktails and teasers..

I have my bag on the other side (cast right handed - bag on left side) and, when I cast, I keep it almost directly behind me. I don't think it affects my casting at all.

I do find the bag to be a problem when I'm scrambing down rocks or something. It swings out and that's not good when you need to keep your balance. I may try it on the belt. Might be better for my back too. smile.gif

If the bag is hanging so low that it's swinging, you should try to shorten up the strap. Mine sits at mid to lower back (on my casting side) & doesn't swing when I cast.

right hand cast, wear bag on left

use a belt, snugged tight

swing bag around on your belt so it rests on your back, then swing it back around when you need to use it.

I've had lower back problems for years. This way cuts down on the fatigue for me.

right hand cast, wear bag on left

use a belt, snugged tight

swing bag around on your belt so it rests on your back, then swing it back around when you need to use it.

I've had lower back problems for years. This way cuts down on the fatigue for me.

There ya go. I use a belt with it also, keeps the bag right against my side/back. I also changed the strap on my Canyon bag. I bought a camera bag strap, has a nice pad on it icon14.gif

In addition to the waist strap I've got a webbed padded shoulder strap that goes over the opposite shoulder from the bag, so that it runs from the shoulder across the chest and down to the bag. This distributes the load (I've got a bad lower back too), keeps the bag in control and makes it easy to swing behind me when casting and fishing, or two swing back to the front quickly for any reason. The shoulder strap also keeps the bag upright when its open and you're rummaging around in it.

If you climb at all, the bag stays a lot closer to your body instead of swinging around.

I'm right handed and have my Aquaskinz single row bag on my left side. It's tucked into a spot along the belt and a clip is added to both to allow me to clip it so it can stay in place if needed. It usually hangs just above my waist. No problem. The type bag used has a pad added.

I wear mine on a belt - that way I can also put my camera, water bottle, Boga and even another small pouch on my belt. It's nicer to have everything on a belt instead of swingin' around, much easier on the back as well.

TimS

I do not wear a shoulder bag simply because after several hours my back really feels it. I've switched to two small hip packs for the belt and not only does my back last longer, it doesn't interfere with casting/climbing.