Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eddieeels

Red Light at Night

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I try to use my light as little as possible at nite , usually just to tie a knot. My reasons are to be less noticable primarilly so as not to get mugged when i am in good, but also and especially if I'm on a rock the light temporarily blinds you even after you shut it off then setting you up to get whacked by a wave...I hate that............So I tried a red light and found I can still see good all the time, I like that.... only drawback is distinguishing plug colors -no biggy if you know your bag, So here is the question eek.gif I think it may be true that a white lite could scare bass from the area frown.gif but I heard bass cant see the red lite (Its a rod-cone thing in their optics) I wonder if thats true or is the red just a more subdued lite confused.gif

Ed---------------<*{{{{<

Ed,

I wouldn't think about it for a minute. Any bass that's close enough to you to be disturbed by a red flash light is close enough to kiss ya. In which case, you'd likely be casting 75 yrds past that fish anyway wink.gif

Red is one of the first colors to be filtered out by water depth (depending on the clarity of the water, this might be 10 feet). Below a ceratain amount, it appears black which may be why red and black are such hot colors. Pawlie

I thought is was Red at night, Stripers delight, Red at morn Stripers take warn...... wink.gif

It is true, red and black lights are the first to dissipate in the water. Not knowing the Stripers eye functions, can't really comment on what they see. As far as dark lures at night, think that has more to do with the silhouette against the sky.

I prefere the Streamlight green Trident light. Which has three options. One of them being "green". IMO best for night fishing. biggrin.gif

[ 11-13-2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Striperfever ]

I posted this comment in another thread:

first, I don't drive on any beaches here in monmouth county NJ.

I'm not sure how you would compare this situation to truck headlights, but I think many of you may think that light scares fish more than it actually does.

when I crab at night we use 2 and 1 million candle power spot lights that are hard wired (these are no wimpy mag lites here). We frequently come across bass prowling the flats for baitfish. when the light is put on them, they do not seem to mind AT ALL. and we shine on them at all angles as well. some will be right near the boat, some at a distance...but again, they dont mind the light whether its a narrow beam right at their eyes, or a wider flood light from further back. many times the bass will actually follow the light right up to the boat. keep in mind, these are feeding fish and the light, in various angles and intesities, does not seem to keep them from feeding. I have even pulled the wire off the battery and made a strobing effect and they seem fine with that as well

so what do you guys make of this? are some guys over reacting?

this is the thread that info is from:

http://www.stripersonline.com/cgi-bi...c;f=1;t=030167

so I seriously dont think that bass are THAT concerned with light. maybe its those crazy NJ bass confused.gif

Streamlight makes a model called "Trident" that you might be interested in. It's a simple one hand operated, push button headlamp. This model offers 3 modes of light. A green LED light as well a wide spread diffused white light and a white focused beam. I've been using this light all year and I'm sold. The Green LED Light is easy on the eyes and eliminates the temporary blidness associated with traditional white lights. PM me and I'll send you the link.

A-Jay

Streamlight makes a model called "Trident" that you might be interested in. It's a simple one hand operated, push button headlamp. This model offers 3 modes of light. A green LED light as well a wide spread diffused white light and a white focused beam. I've been using this light all year and I'm sold. The Green LED Light is easy on the eyes and eliminates the temporary blidness associated with traditional white lights. PM me and I'll send you the link.

A-Jay

$24 bucks and ya cant beat it. 1200 hours of battery life. icon14.gif I have the original and the newer "green" Trident. Plus various other Streamlight flashlights and head lamps. We use these products at work and are some of the best lighting products i have ever seen.

I use two small Peli-Lites on my neck lanyard, one is a white LED light for when I have to see something and the other has a green filter which I use for all other chores. The green light gives you better color definition. As far as the green light scaring the fish... this is not an overly bright work light that I feel will scare the fish. The white LED light I onlt use judiciously.

Hooky wink.gif