Need a Rod Recommendation

festus

I ordered an Abu 6500 C3 reel last night and need some help picking a rod. This combo will be used for fishing for stripers from shore below dams with 1-1/2 oz to 2 oz jigs and swimbaits in a current. It will aso be used for catfishing, sinkers from 1 oz to 4 oz . Catfish bait will usually be a live 4" to 7" chub, shiner, sucker, bluegill, shad, or skipjack. Also I will use cut bait, but not huge chunks.

Do I need a Medium rod, Medium Heavy Rod, or a Heavy Rod? I don't want something that weighs a ton, but has at least a 24" handle and backbone. Am willing to spend from $30 up to maybe $70. At least 7'-6" long and maybe even as long as 10' to 11'. Will be using mostly 14 lb test mono 17 lb test mono, and maybe 20 lb. mono at the max. Might consider going to braid later.

Any suggestions? I have considered the Daiwa Beefstick, an Offhore Angler Surtcaster up to 10', or an Ugly stick up to 10' Or would 10' be too awkward to use? Also like the looks of an Eagle Claw Water Eagle that's Medium Heavy.

About how many yards such a rig cast with all the description above?

hey festus! you might want to check out the shakespeare ugly stick BWS 1102 it's 8ft rated for 1-6oz and retails for 60 dollars. i have one with an avenger and braid and depending on what bait you're using you can cast up 100yds.

I spent most of my money on women, fishing, and beer...The rest I wasted

....I found the Ugly Stick BWS1102 in the Bass Pro Shop catalog. However, it's only 7' long. Heavy action, rated for 15 to 40 pound test line, lure weight 1 oz to 6 oz. and it's a spinning rod. I need a casting rod.

They also have:

BWC1120 7' long, Mediium heavy action, rated for 12 to 20 pound test line, lure weight 1/2 oz to 2 oz. This is a baitcaster, but would probably not cast a 4 oz sinker and bait very well. However, it should really sling a 1 oz striper jig.

BWC1100 10' long, Medium Heavy action, rated for 12 to 40 pound test line. lure weight 2 oz to 12 oz. I wonder if this model would cast a 1 oz striper jig very well. Also a baitcaster.

Bass Pro Shops have their PowerPlus baitcaster in a 7'6" Heavy action, rated for 12 lb test to 30 lb test line, 1 oz to 4 oz lure weight. I prefer something a little longer, and at $24.99, I wonder if it's cheaply built?

Eagle Claw makes a Water Eagle series of rods, however they don't seem as suited, either. The closest thing in their line is a 10' Heavy action, line weight recommended 10 lb test to 30 lb. test, lure weight 1 oz to 5 oz. For $20.99, I wonder if it's a quality rod that will hold up.

I need a 2 piece rod, unfortunately, for sometimes I fish out of a car instead of the Suburban. I prefer a one piece, but it would be too inconvenient. The Knoxville and surrounding area tackle and bait shops really aren't very good. When I buy a rod or reel, I really want to see it in person, and am really reluctant to buy it online.

I'll keep looking. Since we're gonna have a big cold front and temperatures barely out of the freezing temps for at least a week, I doubt if I go fishing anytime soon.

Thanks again, Mark!!