Eric Roach

Pikies & Belt Sander Drum Size

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I was looking at a couple of Rikon belt/disc sanders tonight. One had a 2.5" belt drum and the other a 3" drum. I was wondering if the 3" drum was necessary to make large pikies.

I tried the belt sander approach to doing pikie heads, I ruined more pieces than I got right, I started cutting the rough head shape on the band saw and doing a little finish sanding instead. Works for me, I'd be interested to hear how others do it as well.

I cut a piece of sheet metal and bend like a z-lip. The bend is done at the height that I want between the lip and the top of the cut. Insert the lip into the blank and feed into the beltsander as far as you need for the cut (I mark that while still on the lathe). When the top of the lip is even with the belt sander, the face is done. We had a thread on this several years back that has several methods with pictures.

As far as the 2 1/2 vs. 3 inch, it will depend on how much of a cut you want. I do everything from 3/4 oz pikies to 4 oz pikies on the same sander.

Jigman

On 12/12/2009 at 11:09 AM, Jig Man said:

I cut a piece of sheet metal and bend like a z-lip. The bend is done at the height that I want between the lip and the top of the cut. Insert the lip into the blank and feed into the beltsander as far as you need for the cut (I mark that while still on the lathe). When the top of the lip is even with the belt sander, the face is done. We had a thread on this several years back that has several methods with pictures.

As far as the 2 1/2 vs. 3 inch, it will depend on how much of a cut you want. I do everything from 3/4 oz pikies to 4 oz pikies on the same sander.

Jigman

Diving back into old posts and doing some planning for this winter. I just went through that old thread where you show the lip jig and think I will attempt to replicate it but I was wondering what size drum (or otherwise) sander you used.

I really like the idea of the large 8 inch drum but cant seem to find one anywhere. 

I made my own 5" diameter drum sander that I run off the head stock on my lathe.  It attaches to the head stock with a 3" face plate.   The 5" drum gives me just the right amount of "cove"  on the face of most all the pikies I build.   I use the lip slot as my reference for how much I take off   Mike   

18 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

I made my own 5" diameter drum sander that I run off the head stock on my lathe.  It attaches to the head stock with a 3" face plate.   The 5" drum gives me just the right amount of "cove"  on the face of most all the pikies I build.   I use the lip slot as my reference for how much I take off   Mike   

Thanks Mike. I’ll have to do some messing around this winter. 

On those old ones I was using the end of my belt sander. The lip jig allowed me to keep the sanded part even. Drum sander as Mike suggested will work well too.

Posted (edited)

If you have a drillpress, you could make a fixture and get consistent slopes. I just screw down a disc the size of my sanding drum to the table and my fixture follows that. I rough out the slope on a bandsaw 1st so it’s less sanding.

160C2AC9-EEC8-44D0-922F-5792714DA183.png

Edited by Ryan560

37 mins ago, Ryan560 said:

If you have a drillpress, you could make a fixture and get consistent slopes. I just screw down a disc the size of my sanding drum to the table and my fixture follows that. I rough out the slope on a bandsaw 1st so it’s less sanding.

160C2AC9-EEC8-44D0-922F-5792714DA183.png

ThTs a great idea.