Paintball help needed

Rate this topic

Jason B

Gents,

Needs some help. I'm a biology teacher and I had couple of students complete a science fair experiment using paintball guns. I was somewhat encouraged to have the kids work somewhat outside the bacteria/plant growth box. Unfortunately, I have no experience with paintball guns, so I need some help. The students used different barrel lengths to test for accuracy. Obviously the longer the barrel, the greater the accuracy, but their data seems a little too good. Can a paintball gun with a 9 inch barrel shoot 10 shots with a 3 inch spread from 30 feet? Sounds a little too good to me. I want to give the kids the betterment of the doubt but I don't want to be snowed when other kids worked their tails off. So bottom-line, how accurate are these things? What kind of spread, single shot from 30' should I expect? Their data is looking like something they threw together during lunch in the computer lab.

Any help is appreciated.

(not sure where this thread fits, so I will try here first)

"It's the weekend, I don't know you, you don't exist to me." The Hangover

Wow..that's tough man.

I would have to guess the gun itself is going to be a factor though. How clean was it, how good was the person shooting it, or was it set up on a bench and held in place?

I think some are pretty darn accurate though at 30'. That's not too far for some of these newer guns. 3 inch spread is pretty tight though. I would guess you'd have to bench it for that kinda of grouping wouldn't you? Or be a damn good shot?

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

Weather factors in also..

Was it inside or outside?

If it was cold, the balls would have been harder, therefore more accurate.

Any wind? The balls are greatly affected by wind, especially if they're softer..

Now shes away from convent she's gone wild.
She's grown from a nice young lady to a child.

I use to play paintball myself... it was a few years ago though. But from what i seen, some markers were a pretty good shot. Then at 30 feet thats a close shot and with a good marker and some good paint i wouldnt doubt one bit if that was their data.

The next question you should ask the students is what kind of quality paint. Then also if they just seem like the kids that BS their work i would put that in consideration also.

Goodluck, Jacob

"Go that way really fast, and if something gets in your way....... turn"

Not taking away from their results .

They probably had max FPS , you can actually turn the settings up or down on the gun ,adjusting the amount of Co2 and using a measuring instrument (forgot the name of the instrument) you can set the fps of the paintballs so everyone's gun shoots the same FPS .

At max FPS the paintballs shoot really well , They also WILL remove a fair

amount of skin when you get hit by them (don't ask me how I know this) frown.gif

Also if they shot 1 ball at a time , rather than a volley , will help in the accuracy .

3" groupings at 30' ? Not very hard to do at all ,especially if you have some time shooting the paintball gun.

Im pretty accurate, I borrowed a friends angel and used it and got a 2-3inch spread. And thats at the field settings. If you set it up full power the ball might hurt more but it wont be as accurate. You need to find the fps with the best accuracy. And barrel length will help accuracy but even more the barrel diameter. If you use a tippman 98 custom(lower quality paintball gun) barrel then It wont be as accurate as a angel(high quality) barrel.

View PostNot taking away from their results .

They probably had max FPS , you can actually turn the settings up or down on the gun ,adjusting the amount of Co2 and using a measuring instrument (forgot the name of the instrument) you can set the fps of the paintballs so everyone's gun shoots the same FPS .

At max FPS the paintballs shoot really well , They also WILL remove a fair

amount of skin when you get hit by them (don't ask me how I know this) frown.gif

Also if they shot 1 ball at a time , rather than a volley , will help in the accuracy .

3" groupings at 30' ? Not very hard to do at all ,especially if you have some time shooting the paintball gun.

Remove skin???? I get bad welts never loose skin though. I was paintballed on Holloween with marbles and didnt even draw blood.

I worked at a paintball store from the time I was 14 until I was about 19. My friend's dad owned the store and employed my friend and I to work there.

My friend's dad, whom I respect to the same level that I respect my own dad, ensured that the tests we did were fair and accurate. He is an expert marksman and gunsmith. He taught me everything I know about guns. With his help, we actually did a very in depth study to determine which barrels were best. That involved metal linings or the barrel, lengths, porting, avg FPS, rifiling, etc.

Now, I'm talking almost 10 years later here so take that into account. But, as I recall accuracy improved as you went from 8 inches up to about 12 inches. After that, the accuracy really dropped off, we think because CO2, by the confines of physics, can only expand so much in a given temperature and the valve can only be open for so long. We supposed that the valve closed before the paintball was all the way down the barrel in longer barrels.

So, here's the thing.

Is it possible to get 3" at 30 ft.? Yes. The one caveat is that it is very hard to find the center of a paintball hit. Because of that, I think your boys probably measured to get the result that they thought should have gotten rather than being objective, and scientifically rigorous.

For example, say I shoot two paintballs, each of them upon explosion leave a splotch that is 2.5" in diameter. Say I shoot another one and its center lands 5" from the center of the other one and it also has a 2.5" diameter splotch. The boys could claim that there is a 0" accuracy spread. This is obviously an extreme case, but you see what I'm getting at.

Paintball guns have a lot of variance shot to shot. The FPS is frequently inexact, especially in cheaper guns. I don't think it would be too hard to get 3", but that is certainly excellent shooting for boys that likely lack the requisite skill, tools, and quality guns to make it happen.

I'm fairly sure they measured to get the results they wanted. You can check by checking the longest barrel length and comparing it to a 12" barrel. If a barrel longer than 12" was more accurate than one than the 12" one, you have your answer.

Anything longer than 12" should have been as accurate or less accurate than a 12". Anything under 12" should have been less accurate. Our best was a 12" chrome moly barrel, no porting, no rifilng, out of a Benjamin Sheridan VM-68. Consistent 3" spreads at 30' with that combo is definitely realistic, but it was a very high quality barrel out of a very high quality gun, with an expert marksman pulling the trigger.

Sorry that is so long. Hope it helps.

How we wish to catch a fish so juicy sweet.

Check out the last wound on this guy , it happens . frown.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

View PostGents,

Needs some help. I'm a biology teacher and I had couple of students complete a science fair experiment using paintball guns. I was somewhat encouraged to have the kids work somewhat outside the bacteria/plant growth box. Unfortunately, I have no experience with paintball guns, so I need some help. The students used different barrel lengths to test for accuracy. Obviously the longer the barrel, the greater the accuracy, but their data seems a little too good. Can a paintball gun with a 9 inch barrel shoot 10 shots with a 3 inch spread from 30 feet? Sounds a little too good to me. I want to give the kids the betterment of the doubt but I don't want to be snowed when other kids worked their tails off. So bottom-line, how accurate are these things? What kind of spread, single shot from 30' should I expect? Their data is looking like something they threw together during lunch in the computer lab.

Any help is appreciated.

(not sure where this thread fits, so I will try here first)

Get them t replicate the expirement for the whole class, considering the time of year, get use of the gym. Inside would also eliminate any x-factors. Seems like something they should be able to replicate within a class.