Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlockRocks

Wet suit

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

What will you use it for? In winter you will need a 5.4mm; later in the spring a 3.2mm will work fine. Just go to a surf shop. They will set you up with what you need.

I began fishing a wetsuit late this summer. I picked up a Henderson Hyperstretch H2 5mm and its great. I actually stay dry in it aside from the collar which I keep loose becasue i find it irritating. Feel free to pm me with any questions

View PostI began fishing a wetsuit late this summer. I picked up a Henderson Hyperstretch H2 5mm and its great. I actually stay dry in it aside from the collar which I keep loose becasue i find it irritating. Feel free to pm me with any questions

You stay dry in your wet suit?? headscratch.gif

sounds like magic or, you're not going in the water............. either one.biggrin.gif

View PostJust getting out to a rock to fish, thanks for the help guys, I guess a surf or dive shop will give me some ideas.

Block there is a lot of knowledgeable on this iste but you have give them enough info for them to help you. A big part of choosing a wetsuit is knowing under what conditions you fish. The water and air temperatures are very important. please be more specific.

I'll be using it mainly for fishing the Islands MV and BI from summer thru Nov. I suspect that looks like I might need 2 suits but am willing to sweat a little more than chill, if you know what I mean.

Look at a farmer john 2pc. style. It will give you more alternatives. Adding a lycra layer,top on,or off ect. A good set should be in the 300$area.

There are many affordable suits out there and im skeptical when i see something thats a bit cheaper then i would expect to pay. you know how the old adage goes, "you get what you pay for" so dont just buy any old suit because the price is right. listen to experienced advice and weigh the pro's & cons.

A consideration would be the "henderson hyperstretch". On advice from a well known & experienced skisher i bought a fullbody 7mm suit for skishing and for the colder months.

For warmer months i have a 3mm suit of the same type. These 2 suits serve me well throughout my rockhopping & swimming sessions.

Some guys like 2 pc farmer johns & their versatility. the only issues that i would expect with that would be the multiple flaps of a layered suit would tend to entrap sand when fishing in sandy conditions.

Go to different dive shops & try on different suits Mimic typical movements you would encounter in a real fishing situatuion like overhead casting motions squatting down, etc. if you feel too restricted when moving or you cant breathe freely then that suit might not be for you. When you find the right suit you can either support local business and buy from them or you can go online and buy the same exact suit probably for considerably less then the shop.

Good luck!biggrin.gif

View PostLook at a farmer john 2pc. style. It will give you more alternatives. Adding a lycra layer,top on,or off ect. A good set should be in the 300$area.

2nd this post. Also depends on body type. If you get one suit go thicker, you can always take a dip to cool down. If you do long walks or serious rock hopping, go lighter. Thick wet suits are not comfortable on out of water workouts! You can add a dry top when its cooler. Don't get a suit for divers (unless its Farmer John), not enough freedom in the shoulders. Surfer or paddling design is better. Save some money for good boots that will accomodate a neoprene sock - cold feet are the worst. Do a search on SOL, lots of good info.

View PostThere are many affordable suits out there and im skeptical when i see something thats a bit cheaper then i would expect to pay. you know how the old adage goes, "you get what you pay for" so dont just buy any old suit because the price is right. listen to experienced advice and weigh the pro's & cons.

A consideration would be the "henderson hyperstretch". On advice from a well known & experienced skisher i bought a fullbody 7mm suit for skishing and for the colder months.

For warmer months i have a 3mm suit of the same type. These 2 suits serve me well throughout my rockhopping & swimming sessions.

Some guys like 2 pc farmer johns & their versatility. the only issues that i would expect with that would be the multiple flaps of a layered suit would tend to entrap sand when fishing in sandy conditions.

Go to different dive shops & try on different suits Mimic typical movements you would encounter in a real fishing situatuion like overhead casting motions squatting down, etc. if you feel too restricted when moving or you cant breathe freely then that suit might not be for you. When you find the right suit you can either support local business and buy from them or you can go online and buy the same exact suit probably for considerably less then the shop.

Good luck!biggrin.gif

For skishing I believe a dive suit might be better then a surfing suit being they are made to 7mm and that adds buoyancy. For all other forms of fishing I would look at a surfing suit. The shoulders are much much more flexible than any dive suit I have ever seen. Granted its fishing were talking about which is not exactly an actively moving sport, so your probably safe with either. From what I understand the Henderson hyperstretch might be one of the few dive suits which can come close to the flexibility and the quality material and design of a surfing suit. Being I surf I own about 4 or 5 Xcel drylocks which are very expensive, but yes you do get what you pay for. I can't imagine having to where only one suit for the verity of water temps we get. But I guess if you absolutely had to pick one then maybe a 5mm would be a good bet. The only time I wetsuit (when I even have time for MTK) is during the warmer months june through september. For for me I prefer using my 4/3mm and if its hot out the 3/2mm.