Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
papapal

kayak warping

7 posts in this topic

I purchased a Tarpon 12 in the spring and enjoyed fishing in it this summer. As I was putting a cover on it for the winter, I noticed that the bottom near midship was warped. It had been stored between uses this summer upside down and the warping appeared as though it had melted slightly and sagged between the stringers. The yak was supported during this time with sawhorses placed about 2' from the ends. Can this warping be corrected? Does it matter to performance? Anyone have any experience?

View PostI purchased a Tarpon 12 in the spring and enjoyed fishing in it this summer. As I was putting a cover on it for the winter, I noticed that the bottom near midship was warped. It had been stored between uses this summer upside down and the warping appeared as though it had melted slightly and sagged between the stringers. The yak was supported during this time with sawhorses placed about 2' from the ends. Can this warping be corrected? Does it matter to performance? Anyone have any experience?

If it's just a "Buckle" in the bottom...... and not the Top & Bottom both being "Sagged-down" from sitting on the Horses......you shouldn't notice any difference in performance......my Outbacks sit on the Carts all Season long and have developed a small buckle between the Scuppers where it's sitting on the Crossbar of the Cart......I can't tell it's there when on the Water!

Try and divide the support with the Horses into 3rd's across the length of the Boat!

Thanks much, Wurk2Fish. I did move the support toward the center some after I noticed the problem. Based on your experience, I'm not going to worry about it. The kayak has been outside this summer, but will be in the garage for the winter. No doubt direct sun this summer played a role.

You can just make a rack from some pvc and chair webbing then the kayak will sit in the webbing. Here's a pic its a little hard to tell or see but really easy to make and pretty cheap.

View PostI purchased a Tarpon 12 in the spring and enjoyed fishing in it this summer. As I was putting a cover on it for the winter, I noticed that the bottom near midship was warped. It had been stored between uses this summer upside down and the warping appeared as though it had melted slightly and sagged between the stringers. The yak was supported during this time with sawhorses placed about 2' from the ends. Can this warping be corrected? Does it matter to performance? Anyone have any experience?

View PostBoth of my Manta Rays did that also (slight dip under the seat area)

I assumed that was normal.

Rotomolded hulls are soft and warp easy. I'll never forget my buddy Todd out in Block Island. He stored his kayak for the winter indoors at a storage facility. There was a big fat cat that liked to sleep on his overturned hull as it sat on saw horses at the storage. The Cat over time left a huge impression in the hull over the winter. The sun took it out but I found that to be a funny story.

I live on the water and I have a habit of carting my kayak into my backyard at 4am after a night run leave my ride on the cart and crash. 6 hours later when I go back outside the sun will heat the kayak and it will put a deformation in the hull from sitting on the cart. I took the kayak off the cart, flip it upside down in the sun. The sun restores the bottom and pops out most imperfections that we can cause. Works for me.