Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

How many guys here in the 50# Club?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I'm talkin' honest to God, hung 'em on a certified scale, 50# or better? This isn't for any braggin' rights or anything, I'm just curious smile.gif

So lets here it - please list your weighed over 50# fish - with the date and what it ate if yah want - even the general location - from shore or boat - that kinda stuff.

I'll go first - just not right now...I gotta get one that big, then I'll gowink.gif

TimS

120# Bluefin Tuna, offshore of course. While trolling Summer of 2001

Ya didnt say what species! wink.gif

SF

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me?

SOL# 449

[This message has been edited by Striperfever (edited 10-10-2002).]

If i had to guess>? I would say that Tarpon was pushing 100#?

SF

Yep, looks that way don't it? but there's only 35-45 lbs showing in the picture wink.gif

Right Ed? biggrin.gif

can you say Hammerhead?

OK, no brag, just facts.

October 3, 1966

61 1/2 and 10 others , smallest 50.4oz. All weighed, all caught on eelskins and live eels, trolled. Me and my fishin partner at the time Charlie F. Between 9 and 11 p.m. in the big cove in front of the Cuttyhunk Fishing Club. Best night on large in my career. Started when I was five and still going at 65.

------------------

Capt. Chet

Nor-Easter Charters

OK, here's my story (and I'm sticking to it wink.gif). While he was alive, my buddy Lou and I fished the HW Shaner tournament in Seaside every year as individuals. We would get down there after work on Friday, book rooms at the Island Beach Motor Lodge just outside the park, our wives would go to to the boardwalk to play skilo and we would fish. Then the next day, do the tourney, have a nice dinner and go home. Every year, same thing.

I'm not too sure of the year (I think it was 1987 or 1988), but I got down there late after work to find a note taped to the motel room door saying get out on the beach right away cause there were big bass "all over the place". Needless to say, I pulled on my waders and hightailed it up onto the beach, only to find Lou coming off happy as $hit. I'd missed it, too late.

Since I'd just gotten there, I went out plug a little before going back to join him in a drink (and listen to what I'd missed). After about an hour without a hit, I started walking back in that direction and bada bing bada boom some lost soul fish was on. After what seemed like an hour (and was probably only 10 minutes) I slid her up onto the beach. Biggest bass I ever caught... before or since.

The keep or release decision was actually pretty easy since there was no place to keep the fish (wife would not have appreciated sharing the tiny motel room), so myself and another guy on the beach measured her and she went back. Nose to fork, 54". But needless to say, all I heard was disbelief and comments about fish stories when I went back and told Lou and our wives.

Next scene, same motel, one year later. Wife and I arrive in daylight, are moving stuff into our room, and some guy starts yelling to his wife "that's him!!! that's him!!! that's the guy I told you about!!!" Turns out it's the same guy that helped me measure the bass and held my rod while I released her. His wife hadn't believed him.

Don't get any better. Doesn't meet the certified criteria, but yup, that was a fish.

Jack