Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike T

Penn 965 Inter baitcaster

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I just received a Penn 965 baitcaster for a present. I plan on using it to (1) buck tail the parkway bridges. (2) to bottom fish in and outside the JI for fluke and sea bass

etc. (3) to cast from shore for fluke and weakfish from Demo and the Sore Thumb. (4) to snag bunker from the boat. It is rated for 240 yards of 15# test mono. I don`t think that is enough test for what I want to do. I plan on putting on 30# test braid. Anybody think that would be a good move? If not what would you suggest?

Also any ideas on a rod-length-tip action-etc. Thank for your help.

Mike,

I have one on a Lamiglass inshore classic 8 and 1/2 footer with 30 pound power pro that does everything you want yours to do and in the same places!!!

The 965 is a great reel, from a boat I have taken bass to 30 pounds the drag is glassy smooth.

best of luck with it.

I love my 965, I only use it on the boat thou. Biggest fish was 22#, on live eel. I built a rod for it last year, lami glb901m blank which is a live bait blank.

The drag on the 965 is great! you will love it... Striperfever

The p 965 should do what you ask of it. Its not a great caster, so if you need a great caster this is not it. But the drag is great and for what you seem to want to do it shoudl be ok. I had one when they first came out I ran 45# braid on it and it was fine.....never had any issues.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

Mike I have two 975's, and they're great for the applications you're doing..

The only dramatic difference between teh 65 and 75 is the handle, where the 65 has a traditional baitcaster handle and the 75 has a "live-bait" single crank handle..

30# braid is a great match, just make sure you loosen that stuff up before you go chuckin' your plugs and bucktails off bridges - to avoid a major bird's nest..

tight lines..

I have a 955 and a 965. The 965 has busted more than 50 20+ stripes and a couple tipping around 35 lbs all in tight cover. I stopped a 36 lber cold in it's tracks with 25 lb p-line on that reel. Like they say, the drag is unbelievable. I recently tested my ambassadeur 6500 C3 drag as tight as I could turn it and got 5.6 lbs of drag. Same exercise with the Penn except I did NOT tighten all the way (was afraid to) and pulled 10.3 lbs on the scale. THAT in itself is amazing!

------------------

Shawn McNew

i have a 965 sitting on a st croix ben doerr 8.6 rod and i toss it from the beach, i must admit at first it was a tough caster, but after investigating, i took the reel apart and there are 3 settings for casting. i set my reel on the mid point setting and find that it works for a variety of lures. if you only cast a particular weight then you can adjust the reel accordingly. there is also a casting control on the outside of the reel to fine tune your casts. and it MUST be adjusted with each respective lure weight being used. everyone has touched on this reel's toughness and drag performance and i have to agree with them. all in all i enjoy casting this reel and we seem to all get hung up on buying the perfect reel, but having one or two that arent perfect makes you appreciate the perfect ones even more!!

The International baitcasters use the same internal, three position brake as the GS reels - Off, Medium or High is as adjustable as they get. Penn does ship reels with more goo then they need, so a good cleaning helps a bit.

Brian makes a good point; excess grease is often an issue on fresh from the factory Penns. Many months ago I had some rather large differences with a few of the more senior types here wink.gif who, at the time, were convinced that the 965 was a semi-dog as far as casting was concerned, but who have since become very fond of the 975. I still agree that Abus and Calcuttas are probably a little better for casting really light stuff, but any of the Penn 955 - 975 reels, properly lubed and adjusted - can hold their own in most regards in the casting department.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 03-17-2001).]

I personally own all three models with a total of four (two 965's). Have whipped fish to 37 pounds on the 965. Never a drag problem ever. The only part ever worn out was the pawl, but that was after three seasons of heavy boat use. This series of reels has a nylon bushing on the drive side that can be replaced with the same bearing as the the one on the other side. I have replaced all of them with it.The replacement makes it smoother. I use #30 Power Pro on the 955 for light jigging, on the 965's I have #50 for livelining, eelin' and jigs. The 975 has #65 Power Pro for larger fish, wreck fishin and light trolling . This line of reels are very versatile. Must add though the anti reverse cam can develop a problem if not maintained, it is exactly the same part as in the Calcutta 400. I also use them for casting lead heads in the canal, casts great.

------------------

Frank Z.

Berkeley Striper Club President Seaside Park N.J.

P.S. Try the Light Super Lube in the pencil oiler for the bearings and Penn Lube for the other needed lubrication.

[This message has been edited by Zeeebassman (edited 03-18-2001).]