Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LIStriper

Wading Net - Steelhead

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I hope with all this steelhead talk that someone can point me in the direction of a good steelhead wading net. I have a full sized salmon net that is a PITA to hump around all day and looking for something smaller.

Cabelas has a nice wading net that I am considering but want to check out any options before pulling the trigger.

FWIW I don't want to give a lung for a Brodin or similar.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Netting one by yourself is all but impossible most of the time. Unless really spend they go ballistic when they see the net. We gave up and just beach em; then tail em.

In the Salmon River thread from the 16th by The Fisherman there's a pic I posted. I use this landing hand as I have a problem w/ my hands, especially when it's cold. Lets you get a good grip w/o taking off too much slime or squeezing the fish to death.

I do have a blk alum. 22inch net w/ a short handle that I hang off the back of my vest too for the little guys or tough spots.

Good Luck up there.

View PostI hope with all this steelhead talk that someone can point me in the direction of a good steelhead wading net. I have a full sized salmon net that is a PITA to hump around all day and looking for something smaller.

Cabelas has a nice wading net that I am considering but want to check out any options before pulling the trigger.

FWIW I don't want to give a lung for a Brodin or similar.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

You dont need a net for steelies.. Either tail them or slide them on to the bank.. Nets are bad juju and I have lost more fish from people trying to net my fish than any other way...

View PostYou dont need a net for steelies.. Either tail them or slide them on to the bank.. Nets are bad juju and I have lost more fish from people trying to net my fish than any other way...

Yup exactly...no net for me either..>))>

View PostYou dont need a net for steelies.. Either tail them or slide them on to the bank.. Nets are bad juju and I have lost more fish from people trying to net my fish than any other way...

View PostYup exactly...no net for me either..>))>

I learned that the hard way... No more freaking nets for me either!beatin.gif

I lost a solid 20lb steelie because of the net, never again.frown.gif

I am in the other camp. I prefer a short to medium handled net when landing Steelhead and Browns.

I see lots of people play fish until complete exhaustion because they don't want to use a net and instead opt for tailing. If you can get close enough to tail a fish you should be able to net it.

As for beaching a Steelie, I also see a lot of fish beat themselves silly on the cold hard rocks and ground because people refuse to net them. Then they are slid back into the water exhausted and battered.

Another thing a net can do is help preserve your rod. I have seen a lot of broken rods up there when people were trying to land fish. Even with a net you often end up over stressing your rod but it's nice to have that two foot extension to you arm available.

I am also lucky enough that the people I fish with are skilled enough with a net that I can trust them with even the biggest fish.

View Post

I am also lucky enough that the people I fish with are skilled enough with a net that I can trust them with even the biggest fish.

Please send them my way!biggrin.gif I am lacking in that department...

They are great company and friends but netting, yeah not so much.

View PostPlease send them my way!biggrin.gif I am lacking in that department...

They are great company and friends but netting, yeah not so much.

Believe me, they were not born that waybiggrin.gif. (neither was I, and I'm sure they would be more than willing to tell you that)

After going up there for more than 20 years we have been through our share of netting follies but the core group has skills.

View PostI am in the other camp. I prefer a short to medium handled net when landing Steelhead and Browns.

I see lots of people play fish until complete exhaustion because they don't want to use a net and instead opt for tailing. If you can get close enough to tail a fish you should be able to net it.

As for beaching a Steelie, I also see a lot of fish beat themselves silly on the cold hard rocks and ground because people refuse to net them. Then they are slid back into the water exhausted and battered.

Another thing a net can do is help preserve your rod. I have seen a lot of broken rods up there when people were trying to land fish. Even with a net you often end up over stressing your rod but it's nice to have that two foot extension to you arm available.

I agree with this. Net is better for the fish. If you are not already with a buddy that will help, you usually meet people and can offer assistance and get assistance for landing. I always go with whatever is better for the fish. I saw fish bouncing on rocks and definitely made me go for the net. Also, without gloves, tailing big fish is difficult to do.

No net while fishing from the bank.

Fish I'm gonna keep get slid up the bank.

Fish to be released get slid into shallow water, tailed, hook removed, and sent on their way.

Hiking with a net through the cold jungle around here would be "fun".cwm27.gif