Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff Morris

Will you throw chunks/clams to catch bass?

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

I will throw a chunk or clam once in a while, but since that wasn't an option, I chose artificials only.

There are times when bait will work more efficiently that artificials, but you just have to plan ahead.

I'm not "against" throwing bait at all. cwm12.gif I think anyone that says- "I'll never do this!" or "You would never catch me doing that!" is :

1- Forgetting where they "came from"

2- Selling themselves short and spite-ing themselves for the sake of "purity". rolleyes.gif

Hey!- As long as it's ethical~ whatever puts bass on the beach~puts bass on the beach! icon14.gif

I'll throw clams or chunks for big fish. But I'd rather just enjoy myself throwing plugs, jigs and rigged eels to catch the little fellers...can't see going through much effort to catch 4# bass on clams smile.gif

I'd rather just get some casting practice throwing artificials in the fall if the only thing the lil' fellers are eating is clams smile.gif What fun is a 4# fish on a rod capable of throwing 8oz sinkers and 4oz of clams? icon25.gif Now if they were 20-30# fish only eating bait, I might be more tempted this time of year wink.gif

TimS

Early last saturday morning I walked by a guy dressed in jeans and dress shoes, as he walk to the water getting ready to cast his clam he swings his rod, the clam comes off in two pieces, he runs back away from the water as the waves are coming in not to get his shoes wet. He then places his rod in his spike, lights up a cigarette and waits. I laughed (to myself) and figured watching this guy could be entertaining. Less then 5 minutes later he lands a NICE striper on what little piece of clam was left. So the answer to this thread is I wanna change my name to clam slinga. Dress shoe man 1, killykiller 0. cwm13.gif

The killer was he was in my spot! by luck I gotta believe. rolleyes.gif

I'll throw clams or chunks for big fish. But I'd rather just enjoy myself throwing plugs.....can't see going through much effort to catch 4# bass on clams smile.gif

Exactly how I feel as well.

Pretty interesting results so far and about what I figured. cwm15.gifwink.gif

20% will not do it...just won't.

20% fish primarily bait, so its not an issue.

60% will chunk em', when the time is right.

Lets see how this plays out cwm40.gif

Killykiller.....when I was down in Jersey last week, Rick passed along something he heard in a tackle shop about the guys in sneakers and jeans (or in your case, dress shoes) that run to the edge of the water, toss as quick as they can, and then run back before the wave washes on their shoes.....

They are called "Sandpipers".....

cwm27.gif

They are called "Sandpipers".....

cwm27.gif

That's funny...Dubs and I always called them "scurrybirds" smile.gif

Jeff, does "when the time is right" include throwing bait in the fall for little fish? Cause if it does, I'd like to change my vote wink.gif

TimS

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Even if you don't like it. Take your medicine like a man - catch that little fish on a clam!

I did it Sat night tongue.gif