Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jbatel

Which Braid?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

New to surf fishing, bought a nice set up. Now for the line. I want to start on the right foot.

Every one I talk to, and what I read, say's braid over mono with a florocarbon(spell?)leader.

What type of braid, and what color. I"m looking forward to filling my new VS250.

Thanks.

JB

Been using the Fireline around the rocks for abrasion resistance, Fireline XDS is the best for abrasion resistance but you will loose casting distance.

Stren Superbraid, Berkley Whiplash, PowerPro in 50lb. Boat or surf, spinning or conventional. I like the Stren Superbraid best.

By the way, with the VS250 make sure it is filled with 20-30lb Mono till all the top circles on the spool are visibly filled with the mono. You should then be able to get any of the lines mentioned, Fireline 20lb, Fireline XDS 35lb, and the others in either 50lb or 65lb. All will be pretty similiar with the diameter and you will be able to get a 300 yard spool on with little or some access line to cut off. Importand that with the first 100 yards or so you create a belly, or hump in the center of the spool, then just wind on the rest and it will be flush from top to bottom. Make sure you wind on with alot of tension. If the center of the spool is mushroomed in or loosely put on you will have lots of birds nests!! Use only the XDS if you are in really rocky areas because the line is stiff and will take time to work soft, overkill for alot of the surf unless it is extremely rocky.....

And I like 50-60lb Floro...Orvis mirage is the best and least expensive for me...Should still be a web special for $10.99 for 33 yard spool at Orvis, otherwise I picked up som nice 100yd spools cheap on Ebay, like $20-$27 I believe I paid.

Like CH says Fireline I tried alot of others an I still go back to the fireline in 20 an 30# tests.In fact I would like to try the new stren an the new XDS by fireline but have had some bad experiences with some highly recommended lines so I am leary to switch anymore.My freind has a tackle shop an I wind it on the machine. Off one spool an on to another in a direct line no spinning the line up like when done by hand.Like CH keeping it tight but not overtight.I seen spools blow (basically the top seperates from the bottom)up when overtight.An all i use is florocarbon leader material from 30 in some very clear area's to 60 when in the suds,rocks or usin big topwaters.Triple fish is a pretty good bargain.Kenny which lb test StrenSuperbraid or XDS do u like on the spinning?What compares to 20 or 30 fireline.

I would go with Fireline too ,had bad stuff happen with Power Pro .For the leader i like Andu 80 lb mono.Few $ and you get enough leaders for a long time

Just came from Freeport fishing seminar. Experts say Power Pro 50lb. test for Striped Bass. Expensive line to through, And you have to watch which knot you use. Slicing through your hand like butter too. Great stuff. I'm loaded up and ready to go. Good luck all.

I like the Stealth Bob...but only cause Whiplash isn't made any longer. I'm going to keep searching to find the closest thing to Whiplash smile.gif

TimS

First, my reply is tongue in cheek...but still-

New to surf fishing and bought a nice outfit? I'll say!

VS250

color \t

Out Of Stock

In-Stock Notification \tQuantity:

Price: $649.00 \t

Cost of my Yankee Farmer Yard Sale/Father-In-Law Special: $8. Hundreds and Hundreds Landed.

Wow, more power to you. You can't take it with you. biggrin.gif

Which Braid is very often an issue of personal taste. For the reasons one person fishes braid X another person will prefer braid y.

I have had exellent experience with a Remington Braid-often found in stores like wallmart. I don't think they package it under that name now and I was told it is now marketed under the "Stren Superbraid" name since both Remington and Stren are owned by Dupont.

I am also taking a look at SPIDERWIRE-not talked about as much (which means nothing to me), but seems to have the "feel" of a quality line.

Also, if you go on BASSDOZER.com website he speaks very highly of Spiderwire as being one of the better braids.

best of luck

NIB, I started using the 50lb Stren Superbraid earlier this year on my conventional reels. It is alot more expensive than the other Braids. I expiremented some this year with braids agian off the boat. I had one rod rigged with brand new powerpro 50lb and the other with the Stren 50. I found myself experiencing unexplained break-offs with the PowerPro. I wasnt fishing a tight drag and I was using a very long leader. This was much different from the surf because I was fishing vertically, it should be nearly impossible to break with just 4-5lbs of tension unless the bottom was really nasty, never really felt the fish rub on the reefs or anything. Some days I was doing anywhere from 20-40+ Fish, big fish. I know you would feel the leader on the gills when the fish sounded. I have tried PowerPro in the past and went away from it to the whiplash which Tim turned me on too, also used the spiderwire stealth.

Off the surf this year I stayed mostly on Rocky beaches and have had my share of break-offs...Al on rocks, remember you are now fishing a totally different angle of the surf and alot of youre line is exposed to the rocks. I tried the Fireline in 20lb which has changed alot from the last time I had used it quite a few years ago. Agian, I broke some really big fish off and just wanted to try something different. And yes I went from 65lb braid, which was wat I used in really rocky areas to 20lb fireline, the diameter is less, but the line I feel is stronger on the rocks. I also needed Alot of distance, that is why I went with the 20 over the 30. One important thing, I feel you will have much better of a chance of landing a big fish off the rocks with a lighter drag. Agian I lost some real big fish in areas that were rocky with very slight current with a tighter drag, if the fish sounds and starts to rub on the rocks, Back off the drag...I have lost to many fish trying to muscle them. Yes, I still have lost some fish with the lighter drag, but far less than before, Ive landed fish to the low 40lb class with the light drag this year off the surf...

As far as the spiderwire XDS, it is some very tough stuff, the lightest they have is 35lb Test, the diameter however is equivalent to a braid of about 60lbs or so. You will loose some casting distance with it, but you will make up in the abrasion resistance, landing fish in very rocky areas with no problem. Trust me that stuff is strong...Oh yeah, it is also about $35 for a 300 yard spool...I dont think that fireline and fireline XDS are actual braids though.