Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krusty

whats the differance?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Whats the diff between regular mono line and leader material? I`ve read that people make there rigs out of leader material. Why not just use mono line? Any pros or cons?

Leader material is usually thicker, stiffer, and more abrasion resistant. Unless, it is thinner, more supple, and fragile. OK, it's just different smile.gif

krusty,

for the sake of argument ill take flouro out of the equation...i used to use 40lb mono in bulkl type spools for my leader material for surf fishing at nite and for me it is basically a convenience thing to use "leader material" since it comes in nice little spools that dotn weigh alot or take up too much room.

You may be referring to Flourocarbon? That is what I use as leader material for artificials. It is suposed to be more abrasion resistant and nearly "invisible" under water, so the fish cant see your line. Tim sells Triple-Fish here in the store. Seagar is another popular brand. It costs more than mono, but I need any advantage I can get.

For bait, I use mono, some guys use flouro.

Quote: "Whats the diff between regular mono line and leader material?"

In a nutshell nothing. It's a marketing/sales ploy. You take mono (or flouro) put in on a smaller spool, call it leader material and double the price per foot.

PaulH

Krusty... What PaulH said was confessed to me by a VP of a major line manufacturer. "Leader" material is most of the time the same line but packaged (sold) in larger coils and in a very expensive way. I personally do not bother to buy it in this way and prefer to buy the largest spool of line (larger coils) to build my leaders. If the line has a substantial amount of memmory do not buy the 1/4 lb spools, but if you must, you can always pre-stretch the line and make your own packages.

Sergio

Well, I like the straight 48" lengths of stiff nylon for snelling hooks, and that stuff is stiffer then line of equivalent test. As far as "leader material" goes, regular mono does seem o.k. to me too. I keep a quarter pound spool of 40 lb. Quattro Pro in the cooler, in a quart container of water, so it's always as limp as it can be; makes it easier to tie a nice, tightly snugged knot. (This is for use as a shock leader on a conventional rig.)

This year started using 60 pound Triplefish Saltwater leader. It is far better than what I used to use, 60 pound Ande mono. Some examples include, Bass breakoff do to her rolling on the leader, Ande broke right off. Also, Bluefish haven't broken my Triplefish yet.. And so long gone is the theory that flouro is good for bait as well.. This leader is tri-color'd.. Red into clear into green.. I love this stuff.. Snells up really nice, comes off flat and has very little memory.. I personally prefer "leader material" as opposed to regular "Mono"

ErikT