Throwdown: Swimbait Rods

Black Cloud

I was kicking around the idea of buying the Mojo swimbait rod, until I snapped my Tidemaster out of sheer stupidity.

Why you ask, did this change my mind?

If that Tidemaster were a Loomis, I could have called their customer service, used their expeditor and gotten a shiny new one for $50. You pay for this premium when you buy a Loomis, but what you get is a rod that you will have for the rest of your life. There is no limit on how many times you can do this, I just exchanged my pops' old Saltwater Series. A sand shark wrapped his line around the tip and snapped it the first time out. I exchanged that one for $50 as well.

I know $250 is a lot to spend on a rod, but when you consider that you will have it for the rest of your life, it's something to consider.

I was down between the Mojo and the Loomis, but when I snapped the Tidemaster and wound up with a $130 piece of garbage and realized if it was a Loomis I could have had a new one for 50 bucks, I decided that from now on I'd wait 'til I had a few extra bucks and buy Loomis.

I have a GL3 casting and GL3 spinning that I have had for a combined 40 years that have both been expedited and are brand new.

So, this winter, I will be buying the Loomis swimbait rod instead of the Mojo. I have to admit the Mojo's a sexy rod though and the specs are perfect.

View PostI was kicking around the idea of buying the Mojo swimbait rod, until I snapped my Tidemaster out of sheer stupidity.

Why you ask, did this change my mind?

If that Tidemaster were a Loomis, I could have called their customer service, used their expeditor and gotten a shiny new one for $50. You pay for this premium when you buy a Loomis, but what you get is a rod that you will have for the rest of your life. There is no limit on how many times you can do this, I just exchanged my pops' old Saltwater Series. A sand shark wrapped his line around the tip and snapped it the first time out. I exchanged that one for $50 as well.

I know $250 is a lot to spend on a rod, but when you consider that you will have it for the rest of your life, it's something to consider.

I was down between the Mojo and the Loomis, but when I snapped the Tidemaster and wound up with a $130 piece of garbage and realized if it was a Loomis I could have had a new one for 50 bucks, I decided that from now on I'd wait 'til I had a few extra bucks and buy Loomis.

I have a GL3 casting and GL3 spinning that I have had for a combined 40 years that have both been expedited and are brand new.

So, this winter, I will be buying the Loomis swimbait rod instead of the Mojo. I have to admit the Mojo's a sexy rod though and the specs are perfect.

Why didn't you just send the St. Croix back? $50 you get a shiney new one.

I just bought a St. Croix Premier tonight at Cabelas for $75 out of the bargin cave. Still had the original price tag on it and wasn't a thing wrong with it.

I checked St. Croix's warranty and it said that the rod was only covered for 5 years from the date of purchase, or if you registered it, from the day that you bought it.

It also said that it wasn't covered for misuse.

I found nothing that led me to believe that they had something similar to Loomis's Xpeditor that I could exchange a 10-year old rod if I broke it in a car door, for $50, no questions asked.

If there is, I would love to know about it, cause I actually like their graphite a little better, and the price is better. I just like knowing that if I do something stupid, I can replace it for $50 whether it's 4 years old or 20 years old.

View PostI checked St. Croix's warranty and it said that the rod was only covered for 5 years from the date of purchase, or if you registered it, from the day that you bought it.

It also said that it wasn't covered for misuse.

I found nothing that led me to believe that they had something similar to Loomis's Xpeditor that I could exchange a 10-year old rod if I broke it in a car door, for $50, no questions asked.

If there is, I would love to know about it, cause I actually like their graphite a little better, and the price is better. I just like knowing that if I do something stupid, I can replace it for $50 whether it's 4 years old or 20 years old.

Check out St. Croix's warranty page and read the Goldstar Service Plan. Accually read the whole warranty page.

View PostNot to many rods out there that can touch the value and qulity of the shimano crucial.

I liked that rod when it came out. Was thinking of getting one and the local tackle shop talked me out of it. They've sold many but they have had many come back with broken tips.