Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surf Caster

Tsunami Wood Plugs

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

View PostSorta like the SOL minnows right? Sorry I went there Tim, but it's the same thing.

Yea I tried explaining that one day without success. But topics like this one makes SOL less appealing because I would like to hear about this lure without hearing someone get on their high horse stealing lure designs. They are certain topics that can not be discussed on this broad and this is one of them ...HappyWave.gif

not every one has deep pockets to be buying lures that sell in the $25-40 a piece price range. Tsunami is catering to those who want to plug but don't want to go bankrupt doing it. I support those who make their plugs here and are able to fetch 25+ bucks a piece, but one must realize they are catering to those who can afford them.

View Post I would like to hear about this lure without hearing someone get on their high horse stealing lure designs. They are certain topics that can not be discussed on this broad and this is one of them ...HappyWave.gif

Sure it can be discussed, just ignore those responses that are negative. If you read through these forums there are negative posts about pretty much everything: reels, rods, expensive plugs, cheap plugs, etc. The reason why this is a "discussion" forum is the right to voice your opinion. You don't have to reply to the negative, when you do you're only fueling the fire.

View PostSure it can be discussed, just ignore those responses that are negative. If you read through these forums there are negative posts about pretty much everything: reels, rods, expensive plugs, cheap plugs, etc. The reason why this is a "discussion" forum is the right to voice your opinion. You don't have to reply to the negative, when you do you're only fueling the fire.

Very true... Grasshopper...highfive.gif

I bought a large Tsunami metal lip swimmer in chicken scratch pattern and have caught several shorts on it in the last few weeks. I was using it to test the bigger plug = bigger fish theory.

The metal collar where the first hook meets the body of the lure popped out, but I popped it back in and it hasn't come out again.

Bottom line - my field testing reveals:

1. Catches fish (only shorts so far)

2. Construction seems less than rock solid.

If forced to offer an opinion on free enterprise, patents, and China, I'd say I have mixed emotions on all three.

View PostMass produced? I thought it was the fact that they were exact duplicate knock offs of plugs made popular by hard working local builders, some of whom are no longer with us, and then farmed out to China for mass production that was the issue? smile.gif

TimS

Tim there are local builders that directly knocked off someone who is no longer with us and had them to market within a couple months of passing frown.gif. And also there are plenty of local quality custom builders that sell lures for under $20.00 - the only difference is that they are putting food on local tables and not fattening up middle men who have chinese build the lures for .25C an hour.

Armand

View PostSure it can be discussed, just ignore those responses that are negative. If you read through these forums there are negative posts about pretty much everything: reels, rods, expensive plugs, cheap plugs, etc. The reason why this is a "discussion" forum is the right to voice your opinion. You don't have to reply to the negative, when you do you're only fueling the fire.

clapping.gif Nicly put.

I'm not going to comment on the morals of mass produced products vs local ones b/c i don't want to fuel the fire here. However, I am curious as to why people think it will effect custom plug builders so much. In this case i don't really think it will. The people who buy most of the custom plugs will continue to buy custom plugs because they appreciate them, can afford them and have access to them. A lot of people don't have access to custom plugs or can't afford them (i.e. 15 yr old kids like my bro who are just starting out.) So i think the local or "custom" plug builders will retain most of their market share. I think Tsunami will put the most pressure on Gibbs, etc... other plugs in their price point.

In many cases some custom plug builders can't keep up with demand or chose not to...

i bought a couple of pencil poppers the beginning of summer. had the hooks break off. they were brittle and fell off with out even having caught a fish. contacted them and sent in the bad plugs. within a couple of weeks they sent me a handful of replacements.

haven't had any problems since than with the hooks. but i don't catch fish so not sure how they hold up to a fight.

i'll admit to using them and liking them. i have added both cheapo and top of the line plugs to my bag. i reach for the cheapo's more often than the top of the line stuff. i lost a few rare and more expensive plugs a little while back. haven't caught fish on either type of plug. so losing the more expensive ones really hurt. it's easier for someone like myself to replace a tsunami than an rm or afterhours or any of those guys lures.

there's a lot of moral stuff going around with tsunami's products. unfortunately i would love to buy from other makers of things like rods and reels and plugs. but i just can't afford to. i bought a few "pro builder" plugs over the past year. i've been able to buy over double that getting tsunami plugs for less than what i paid for the "pro" ones.

i want to fish when i want to fish. can't wait till i save up enough money to replace lost plugs or broken equipment. would i want a gloomis rod or a zeebaas reel or a plug bag full of rm's, luna's, afterhours or any of the great plug builders? yeah i would but unfortunately reality is, i can't.

i don't feel bad for the pro builders either though. have you even seen the blitz that happens when rm's are received in timS's store? within minutes they are sold out. so these guys are not losing any money or interest from their hard work.

they are not bad plugs for the $. They aren't IMO as good as AH, Salty's,SS or the other ones, but they can be fished with. I use creek chub plugs too and they are cheap, but work well.

one man's junk is another's treasure.

View PostSorta like the SOL minnows right? Sorry I went there Tim, but it's the same thing.

"We're buying the bodies from the same manufacturer" .... Big difference between buying components from the folks who make them and upgrading standard hardware vs a total knockoff.

View PostMake something worthwhile and see how you like it when someone copies it and sells it. Till then, your opinion is duly noted - you don't mind people farming out plug building to China to mass produce plugs designed and made popular by others - got it, thanks smile.gif

I love the free enterprise system this country operates on, you couldn't be further from the truth and I couldn't be less surprised HappyWave.gif

TimS

One word:

PATENT HappyWave.gifHappyWave.gifHappyWave.gif

View PostI'm not going to comment on the morals of mass produced products vs local ones b/c i don't want to fuel the fire here. However, I am curious as to why people think it will effect custom plug builders so much. In this case i don't really think it will. The people who buy most of the custom plugs will continue to buy custom plugs because they appreciate them, can afford them and have access to them. A lot of people don't have access to custom plugs or can't afford them (i.e. 15 yr old kids like my bro who are just starting out.) So i think the local or "custom" plug builders will retain most of their market share. I think Tsunami will put the most pressure on Gibbs, etc... other plugs in their price point.

In many cases some custom plug builders can't keep up with demand or chose not to...

Your entire post: clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

You see, I DO understand that you can feel badly about someone copying your plug, widget, etc. whatever. That much I agree with. But feeling badly is all you can do. If you don't patent a design, it's up for grabs.

So, those of us who wine incessantly HappyWave.gifHappyWave.gifHappyWave.gif about this egregious act are free to do so - but that's about it.